Safest procedure for buying at a distance. - Will Marshall
I've found by far the best prices for the new vehicle I want at two online sources and an offical dealer.

The dealer freely admitted he didn't carry it as stock and that he'd have to get it in. That would take a week and delivery anywhere in the country would be free.

What are the safest procedures for deposit (£500) and final payment?
My guess is credit card for deposit and debit for final payment.

I'd like to see car in front of me before parting with the balance.

I believe I could make a payment from funds loaded into a debit card account but can this work instantly and clear at his end. Obviously the dealer has his own parallel concerns.

Edited by Will Marshall on 16/09/2011 at 23:22

Safest procedure for buying at a distance. - RT

Paying a balance on a debit card is quite usual is it gives some protection to both parties - you may need to make prior arrangements with your bank if the amount is over their limit, typically £10,000.

Safest procedure for buying at a distance. - Will Marshall
Will do!

Thanks for quick reply.

Any other issues to watch out for?
He assured me it was genuine UK stock, how do I verify?
Safest procedure for buying at a distance. - Falkirk Bairn
He assured me it was genuine UK stock, how do I verify?

If car is supplied by UK Franchised dealer for that make then it will be OK.
If supplied by Joe Bloggs Motors, 2, The Railway Arches, Rounftheback, Birmingham then probably not!
The car maker website will be 99%+ accurate as to their outlets.

Are you sure you want it delivered?

Pick it up - delivery rivers are not always that careful - in 25 years of Company cars - 1 x blew up when it lost oil 10 miles from Dagenham, 2 x were stolen immediately prior to delivery to me - keys left in car on both occasions and driven off from forecourt (picking up delivery paperwork and left engine running) and Mway service Station (paying for fuel!).
Good Luck.........

PS Make & Model?

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 17/09/2011 at 06:49

Safest procedure for buying at a distance. - daveyjp

I would only pay the final balance to a supplying dealer - in our case we arranged a CHAPS payment. It's a few years ago and the dealer couldn't do 'cardholder not present' payments to the amount of our invoice.

If you are present when paying by debit card it's an instant transaction - I've paid for both my last two cars using debit card in the showroom,

Edited by daveyjp on 17/09/2011 at 08:27

Safest procedure for buying at a distance. - oldroverboy

Bought the last car that way, £500 credit card payment over the phone, and debit card payment in the dealership, was quick and painless, By the way, booking a few days in advance got an early morning train london to sheffield to collect my car £22, and was able to check exterior condition of the car. that way you can check everything and that the service book is included and stamped that the pdi has been done.

It is very safe and if you are buying from a dealer, you will be sure of what you are getting.

Please tell us make model?

Safest procedure for buying at a distance. - Bobbin Threadbare

I bought my car by securing it with a deposit done by online banking, and then on the day I picked it up I paid with my debit card.