Vectra ('01 / Y) SRi 2.2 Cam chain - Azrael
I have recently encountered the dreaded cam problem with my 01'Y' plate SRi. Bought new from a Vauxhall main dealer. Regularly serviced by the same dealer. Covered just under 27K so far (not too excessive, I thought in 18 months).
Still, Saturday 7th December, travelling south on the M6 at 70 with the wife & kids, the whole lot dies on me. no engine response, no power steering, no power assisted brakes....So, I eventually get the thing onto the hard shoulder. The AA come out and tell me there is no compression. I end up paying out 170 quid to a recovery firm (My AA cover only was for roadside rescue). BUT...... and this is the main point.
Can I get my money back from Vauxhall ?
If the car is still under warranty, why do I now need a new engine ? Surely the servicing should know about 20K miles being too long to leave the oil in (I admit, I didn't, but I'm not a mechanic)
I have had no sense out of anyone at Vauxhall, and am seriously considering suing them under the sale of goods act.
Any one else had similar problems, or can offer any advice (I must admit I'm fuming) ?

Ta in anticipation.
Vectra ('01 / Y) SRi 2.2 Cam chain - Dynamic Dave
I'm a tad confused. You say that your AA cover is for roadside rescue; you broke down at the roadside, so why didn't the AA recover you?
My Vectra is a few months older than yours (25 months old), but came with a 3 yr warranty, that also includes 3 yrs AA cover. I would imagine you have pretty much the same deal. Somehow I can't see you getting your £170 recovery money back as you already had Vauxhall (AA) breakdown cover anyway.
Vauxhall specify the chain doesn't need changing for 100,000 miles. I guess you've had it serviced at the correct intervals. If Vauxhall are willing to fit a new engine under warranty, what is the problem?
Vectra ('01 / Y) SRi 2.2 Cam chain - wemyss
Dave, I'm also a bit confused on this one. I presume a SRi is a petrol engine and didn't know they had a chain driven cam.
Incidentally there is no scheduled chain replacement on the DTi unless this is recent info.
alvin
Alvin,

Yes, AFAIA, the SRi is petrol.
The 2.2litre is the replacement for the old 2 litre. Same engine that they fit in the VX220. Definately cam chain.
Not sure about the Diesel cam chain service interval, but I either read, or was informed that the petrol chain should be changed at 100,000 miles.
Vectra ('01 / Y) SRi 2.2 Cam chain - Stargazer {P}
Azrael,

Can you be a little clearer in your posting?

Are you trying to recover the repair cost of the engine or the recovery cost of the tow?

Have you checked the warranty period and conditions

Petrol or diesel, cam belt or chain?

regards

Ian L.
Ok,
The answers to my rant are as follows.
the SRi is a petrol (and has a chain driven cam)
The £170 is the fee to recover the car back from Keele services (where the AA recovered me to)
My AA roadside assistance is exactly that - Roadside i.e. they will take you off the motorway and try to fix the fault (no use in my case).

The Warranty covers the Engine, I am just disappointed that it happened at all.
In response to an earlier posting....
The 3 year AA cover given with the car covers....
Year 1 Full AA service
Years 2 & 3 (unless you pay for it) roadside assistance.

So, I guess that yes, I am trying (probably without any success) to get the money back from Vauxhall for the Tow
In response to an earlier posting....
The 3 year AA cover given with the car covers....
Year 1 Full AA service
Years 2 & 3 (unless you pay for it) roadside assistance.

Hmmm, best I go study my documents. Looks like the garage I bought the car from have mislead me.
Vectra ('01 / Y) SRi 2.2 Cam chain - robert
Have you checked the oil between services?
I do & did check the oil between services, as I checked all the other fluid levels. What galls me is that the mighty Vectra owners handbook recommends oil changes at particular intervals, but apparently (and according to others I have spoken to) you should drop the oil every 6 months.