Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - Man without a plan

Hi folks,

Had my '57 Fiesta in for a service today and the tyres came back amber and one red.

N/S Front = 3.0/3.0/3.0

O/S Front = 3.5/3.5/3.5

O/S Rear = 3.0/3.5/3.0 ("stepped, will cause noise when driven")

N/S Rear = 2.0/3.0/3.0

Obviously going to get the N/S Rear replaced ASAP being at 2.0mm on the outside.

There seems a lot of differences there though i.e. 3.0 on N/S Front versus 3.5 on the O/S Front.... and the O/S Rear being 3.5mm in the middle and 3.0 on the outside...

Is all of this normal?

What would people do, just replace the one with the red warning, or the 3 that are down to 3.0 or below? Or all 4?

Also how does a trye get "stepped"?

Finally, the mileage is 46,000 and these tyres are still on since new... is that good out of a set or bad?

Cheers

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - piston power

Id replace the full set in approx another 2k or just before the winter weather gets here!!

If your skint put the best rubber to the front even though your told to rear then swap to front after bed in, it's fwd you need traction.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - unthrottled

it's fwd you need traction.

Not being being able to get going is inconvenient.

But if the back end loses traction, the car becomes unstable. If the front tend loses traction, it is controllable. Good rubber goes on the back in inclement weather.

The near side of the road tends to contain all the debris, and the turning radius of the tyre is sharper so it is normal for the front n/s to wear faster. Swap them around to even up the wear.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - ForumNeedsModerating

+ 1

Also, 46K miles on them? You must drive like you've got a Ming vase in the boot! V.good.

I think your nearside tyres would tend to wear slightly more quickly because they get more of the poor/broken road surface at the roadside. You're also using them more on the outer circumference, when pulling off from kerb etc.

edit: I didn't see unthrottled's comment about wear rates etc. - not copying, honest.

Edited by woodbines on 07/09/2011 at 19:40

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - unthrottled

I wouldn't be upset with 46k on my tyres! I had a set of very cheap tyres that seemed to last forever. They were noisy and had appalling grip. I'd rather have a happy and short relationship with tyres than spend years trying in vain to wear them out!

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - SteveLee

Correct about new rubber on the rear with small light cars. Most cars of this type aquaplane from the rear when hitting standing water. especially if braking, the unloaded rear - already light, needs all the tread-depth it can get to clear water and stop the car swapping ends. Whilst getting the tracking done on SWMBO's C3, a well known tyre fitting company wanted to rotate the tyres as the rears are hardly worn - of course I sent them off with a flea in their ear for offering potentially lethal advice.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - daveyjp

With 3mm or so all round get them all changed.

Tyres for a Fiesta are cheap enough (espeically with 46k between changes!) and £200 or so spent now will be very welcome if the snow comes.

I changed our Aygo tyres last October and having 8mm all round made snow driving easy.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - jamie745
Will people stop encouraging this sodding snow! Stop saying 'if snow comes' we dont want snow to come.

Everybody....shush!!
Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - Bobbin Threadbare
Everybody....shush!!

Don't you mean 'slush'?!

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - oldroverboy

Hate to say this Jamie, but it is forecasted to be a bad winter this year, so we will,

1 prepare the car.

2 book a nice warm break somewhere

3 book another nice warm break somewhere

4 repeat at regular intervals till our next poor spring arrives.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 08/09/2011 at 13:49

It was also forecasted to be a wild hot summer which it wasnt, so take forecasts with a pinch of salt. People 'forecasted' the bad winters of 09 and 10 over ten years ago but nobody listened and it was apparently some sort of 'surprise'. Maybe forecasting snow puts a big dent in the global warming scaremongering so they kept telling us it didnt exist or something.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - oldroverboy

Did you see the ice level is dropping in Antarctica? Somebody pass me another Gin and Tonic please.....

Yes some ice fell off somewhere which 100% vindicates the Government bleeding us dry to use a car, because of course lots of pounds in the coffers to spend on bombs for Libya will definately pick that ice back up or something, i dont know its still pretty jolly cold up there and ice has melted and reformed in Antarctica regularly over the last few billion years long long long long before the Range Rover was invented. But of course for the purposes of Government policy, the Planet was born in 1948 and therefore can justify raking in billions in the name of 'saving the environment'.

Laughable. Absolutely laughable. Never come across anything more hilarious in my life.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - Man without a plan

Thanks for this guys, have had quotes for £69 a tyre for Yokos or £60 a tyre for Kumos...

Will take the advice as given and get a full set put on in a few weeks - probably go for the Yokos unless any reason not to.

I think they've done very well to last this long. Dont forget to pop onto blackcircles.co.uk and see what you can get on there. Very well priced most garages just say to you point blank ' i cant compete with them' if you mention it to them.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - SteveLee

Very sensible changing tyres at 3mm just as it starts to get wet out there. I change my tyres as soon as they get near 3mm. Not only does wet weather perfomance drop off markedly beyond that, the liklihood of punctures increases too.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - captain chaos

Laughable. Absolutely laughable. Never come across anything more hilarious in my life.

I found decimalisation quite funny. Not to mention endowment mortgages and selling fuel in litres.

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - Collos25

So thats where all the ice is going in your G&T's

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - bintang

Finally, the mileage is 46,000 and these tyres are still on since new... is that good out of a set or bad?

Ford Fiesta - Tyres - how long lasting - RustyFiesta

I reckon 46000 miles from the front tyres on a front-wheel drive car is very good.

On my low-powered, gently-driven 1998 Fiesta, I used to get 40000 miles from the front tyres, and 70000 miles from the rear ones.

I'm slightly surprised that your rear tyres have worn at the same rate as your front ones. Perhaps you often carry people or heavy stuff in the back of your car?