Vauxhall Astra H Estate - Roof bars - rubber inserts? - Waino

I wonder if anyone can help with this.....

I've just bought some genuine Vauxhall (aero-type) roofbars for my Astra H estate; it's the type with the 3 pairs of holes on the inside track of the roof-rails - and the bars can be fitted very quickly and very securely. They are so strong that I suspect that if the car rolled upside down in the snow, I would be able to pull it along sideways like a sledge!

There's just one snag - the bars came without rubber strip inserts to fit into the T channel on the top edge; apparently, this is how they are normally supplied, and you are left to go off in search of suitable inserts. I understand that the channel is there so that roof-boxes, cycle racks etc can be bolted on. This is not helpful to me as I want to carry my beautiful new canoe.

I wonder if anyone has faced and managed to solve this problem or has any ideas; I have tried a couple of local motor-factors and I'm just about head to off to Halfords.....

Many thanks Waino

Edited by Waino on 05/09/2011 at 17:05

Vauxhall Astra H Estate - Roof bars - rubber inserts? - Chris M

Can you buy canoe carrying brackets to fit the T channel on your bars? If not, how about foam pipe insulation fixed around the bars with cable ties? Not pretty, but it would protect your beautiful new canoe better than the rubber strip you are referring to, which only sits slightly above the bar level and would afford little protection to the canoe.

Many thanks for your reply, Chris.

I think I've found the answer to my question; I understand that most (all?) of the aluminium extrusion for aero-bars comes from the same source, and various manufacturers modify it to suit their needs and then charge their appropriate prices. I have ordered a couple of strips as Thule accessories via Halfords and, as far as I have been able to test, they should fit OK.

You are right - canoe brackets are available, but I suspect they are primarily designed for carrying kayaks and mine is quite a wide canoe - I don't think there's much room for fixing brackets. This is not helped by the fact that the Astra roof rails narrow towards the back of the car and it is this that caused me grief in sourcing well-fitting roof bars in the first instance.

I think that the real reasons that I wanted to get the strip were to 'neaten things up' and to prevent the whistling noise from the bars. I agree that I need more cushioning under the gunwales (the canoe is carried inverted) and I've got some pipe-lagging, as you suggest. The canoe is fastened down with ratchet straps and is also tied down to the front tow-eye and the tow-bar at the rear - apparently wind can lift an insecure canoe, ripping off both canoe and roofbars. Rest assured - I won't be taking any chances!

As a postscript to the above, the rubber strips, ordered through Halford's (credit where it's due) only took 1 day to arrive - excellent! The strips can be described by several different part numbers, but this appears only to relate to the different lengths that are available.

Vauxhall Astra H Estate - Roof bars - rubber inserts? - Chris M

Glad to hear you are now sorted.