Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - Rich99

Hi, I have a ford S-Max that doesn't come with a spare tyre, just a Continental ContiMobility Kit - a compressor & bottle of sealant. I had a puncture & the kit worked fine to get me going again. However what bits do I need to replace? Obviously I'd need to buy more sealant, but is the inside of the compressor all coated with liquid rubber now? I read in another thread on this forum that it costs >£60 to replace, however halfords sell 'tyre weld' which seems to be essentially the same thing for £12.

What should I buy? Is there any reason not to go for the £12 halfords option?

Thanks!

Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - Peter D

You have to replace the hose and the bottle of sealant. :

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/automobile/themes/extended_mobility/sealant_kits/contimobilitykit_en.html

Or but yourself a Tyre RePair can from Asda for £5.00 Regards Peter

Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - Collos25

What happens when you shred a tyre on a sunday morning anybody who totaly relies on a tin of sealent is very brave.

Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - Rich99

I don't disagree, but there is nowhere on the car to store a spare tyre, so sealant is my only option.

Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - piston power

Whoever buys a car with no spare wheel is asking for trouble & it's stupid to rely on the can of gunk to get you going.

Buy a motor with a spare.

There is plenty of place to store a spare wheel what you mean there is no spare wheel well.

Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - likerocks

hmmmm

in 15 years and more than 300k miles worth of driving I have had precisely 1 on-the go puncture and 2 slow ones that stay inflated enough to get to a tyre repair place.

Neither I nor anyone I know has every had a shredded / burst / blown out tyre that wasn't already damaged or abused.

I don't buy this "asking for trouble without a full sized spare" mentality.

Until it happens,

Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - galileo

Brother-in law has had 2 blown out tyres this year on his one year old Renault Megane and thus discovered the uselessness of the provided can of gunk.

Oh, and the second was on a Sunday, in Cumbria, so no new tyre available till Monday.

Rely on your luck if you like, I buy cars with full size spares.

Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - likerocks

2 blown out tyres this year on his one year old Renault Megane

blow outs DO NOT just happen - there is something else going on in this story I'm sure!

Ford S-MAX - Replacing Sealant from tyre inflation kit - peg

Hi, Why not use Ultraseal in your tyres instead of the kit supplied? You buy a Kit to suit your tyre size and put the required amount into each tyre, it coats the inside of the tyre and seals any puncture. I've used it an S type 3yr, and now have it in my Santa Fe not had any punctures but one thnig I have noticed I don't have to top up tyres with air. I tested it out when I found a slow puncture in our Getz I had some spare sealant put it in the tyre drove around pulled out the nail the sealant bled through the hole and sealed it that was 1yr ago. The Ultraseal is blue in colour and in the event of tyre change will wash of with water.