Sweet spot VAG diesel engine? - OldSkoOL

Which VAG engine is the sweet spot between reliability and MPG?

I want a car to use around town but also returns good economy on long distances. Spending between 4 and 6k.

I know VAG diesels have a good rep in this respect but i want a DPF-less car because of the town work. How about the 130 1.9tdi ? Is this classed as the sweet spot? No DPF so no issues around town but will do 55mpg on a run? Plenty of boot space in something like an Audi A4 for the kids stuff.

Sweet spot VAG diesel engine? - unthrottled

That is most people's opinion. The AWX/ASZ engine codes are getting pricey now, since there is every reason to hang on to them and no reason to 'upgrade'. Don't pay stupid money for an ex-taxi-nothing's utterly bulletproof!

Sweet spot VAG diesel engine? - 659FBE

The AWX in a Skoda Superb (Mk 1) is an excellent proposition in terms of performance against fuel consumption if you can find a good one. There is a narrow time window in which the AWX was offered in a body with folding rear seats, so you would have to look hard if this feature is important to you.

The higher powered 1.9 PDs seem to be attracting a price premium now as the later engines are so poor. Avoid the 150 PS PD (transverse only, I think).

A lot of Superbs have been cabbed/abused/neglected and it is essential to address the design problems and maintain them properly. This cannot be done on a shoe string.

A good one properly maintained will run to starship mileages.

Sweet spot VAG diesel engine? - concrete

659FBE is right. My AWX is 6 years old with 130K. Well looked after by a good main dealer on a variable service regime. Services are flagged up at about every 20K with little oil use between. The 130PD diesel is very sweet, an excellent power band if needed and average for me including some town work is just a bit over 50mpg. All from a car that carts around rubgy players of 6'5" and over 18 stones and they can have a dance in the back seats. The boot is so big it has an echo! Current value is about £3000ish but is worth much more to me, to replace what it gives would cost a pretty penny. I hope it does starship mileages, it is such a good car. What is it? A Skoda of course, a Superb Elegance 1.9TDi 130PD. Cheers Concrete