VW Golf TDi - VW Golf TDI 1.9 Vs 2.0 - any real difference? - subfrequenz

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Golf TDI but am looking for real world feedback on engine performance and reliability. The 1.9tdi 105bhp on paper looks pretty basic but how good is this cars acceleration for general overtaking and hill climbing etc? I do a mixture of urban and hilly rural driving so need something with a bit of poke. The 2.0 tdi looks far better on paper but seems to have a sportier setup and am looking for comfort rather than harsh suspension. Also, after looking at Audi 2.0 tdi's track record, there seems to be complaints about oil pump failures with this VAG engine, whereas the 1.9 105bhp seems pretty good.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

VW Golf TDi - VW Golf TDI 1.9 Vs 2.0 - any real difference? - Peter.N.

I don't have personal experience with these cars but from what I have heard the 1.9 is the more reliable engine being more of the old school. A lot of problems with modern diesels seem to be down to the increased power and longer oil change intervals. I'm sure more frequent oil changes would prolong engine life.

Hopefully someone who has had experience with both engines will be along shortly.

VW Golf TDi - VW Golf TDI 1.9 Vs 2.0 - any real difference? - unthrottled

My folks have the 1.9 105. It is considerably less refined than the 2.0 CR and the power/torque figures are obviously lower. I would describe the power is 'adequate' rather than peppy. Thus far no DPF problems have emerged.

Also, it's insurance group 6 and a bit more economical than the 2.0. The engine is less complex than the 2.0 and should be ok. The piezo injector problem is reputed to be an inherent fault of the design, but most of the affected cars seem to be 05-56 passats.

VW Golf TDi - VW Golf TDI 1.9 Vs 2.0 - any real difference? - Big John

The 1.9 100bhp in my SKoda Superb 1 seems to propel it aloong a lot better than you would imaging for a small engine in a huge car. Economy has always been good (late 40s to 50 mpg) and I don't hang about. I managed to drop it to 46mpg in France but was fully laden and cruising at 130kph - according to my satnav.

I don't think the 1.9 was ever fitted with a dpf and the lower power ones (100-105) usually seems to be fitted with the more reliable 5 speed box.

VW Golf TDi - VW Golf TDI 1.9 Vs 2.0 - any real difference? - tryitandsee

Do you mean 110 GT TDi.

Good all round car IMO.

I imported it new from Germany, 'V'' plate, apart from new batteries and a MAF, not alot has gone wrong. Surprising really, as my wife only does short trips each day.

50 to 60 MPH at good long and steady motorway speeds.

Still pulls well and very comfortable, a little too soft for me.

VW Golf TDi - VW Golf TDI 1.9 Vs 2.0 - any real difference? - nick74

I have the 2.0 TDi PD 140 engine in an Octavia and after having tried the 1.9 105 version I much prefer the 2.0.

There's a lot of different variants of the VAG 2.0 TDi engine and a lot confusion concerning the differences between them as a result. The 2.0 PD 140 BKD engine in the Golf is not bad reliabilty wise and actually very similar to the 1.9 PD in many ways, the main difference being that the 2.0 is 16 valve whereas the 1.9 is 8 valve.

I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record on this but .....The well known oil pump problems suffered by the 2.0 PD Passat and larger Audis do not affect the smaller VAG diesels with 2 litre PD engines, including the Golf. The most likely reason for this is the lack of balance shaft on the Golf engines. Its the balance shaft on some 2.0 PD engines that kills the oil pump drive. The Golf 2.0 engine escaped this problem as it has no balance shaft.

The one problem that does crop up with the 2.0 BKD quite often is turbo problems. I would be very careful of any that make a "police siren" noise when revved as it can be an early sign of turbo failure. Otherwise the engine itself is very tough.

Edited by nick74 on 04/09/2011 at 18:06

VW Golf TDi - VW Golf TDI 1.9 Vs 2.0 - any real difference? - subfrequenz

Thanks for feedback all. I test drove a 1.9 105bhp Golf Mk5 a week ago and it seemed pretty good. A nice bit of torque and easy to drive. Enough for me anyway and I like the effortless pull that you get with a diesel compared to a petrol.