Track Days - Bobbin Threadbare

It's my birthday in a few weeks and Mr B has said he will take me on some sort of 'track day'. I had a little google of this and there are so many I have no idea what to go for. Obviously spending £900 for a full day of zipping around in 6 different supercars is a tad out of the price range for us (!) but I wondered if anyone had ever done one of these, whether it's even worth the money, and where might be a good place to go.

Track Days - bathtub tom

I did one at Silverstone some years ago. We had a go in 'skid pan' Mercs that were on a jackable platform, a long tarmac autotest route in a superlight Caterham, a few laps of the Stowe circuit with a professional driver giving instructions from the passenger seat, before being sent out in formula first single-seaters, again just round Stowe.

Everything was tightly controlled (as it should be), spin and you had to come in and get your wrist slapped. Spin a couple of more times and you're out.

Excellent value for less than a couple of hundred quid: www.silverstone.co.uk/experiences/

Track Days - gordonbennet

My son had a fantastic day at Silverstone, skid pan section, and then a good selection of superb cars including several laps in a single seater, which was really exciting as the slightest twitch produced a result.

It wasn't cheap, i think around 6 or 7 hundred, birthday present from his very understanding and utterly charming SWMBO, but worth it as a really unforgettable day and worth every penny, he learned a lot.

Encouraged to explore the limits of his competence, which seems to be different to most of these track days.

I can find out the details of the company concerned if it's a distinct possibility.

edit, sounds like Tom had a similar day, but very good value.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/08/2011 at 15:35

Track Days - ohsoslow

A friend and I went on a Caterham experience day at Bruntingthorpe airfield near Leicester last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Both wives came along to watch and also enjoyed the day as the weather was good and there was a lot going on.

The day consisted of a demo lap as a passenger in a Subaru to see the track, then a drive in a Caterham with the instructor giving hints. After that we had a picnic, then went karting for a while (included), then out in the Caterham, again with the instructor. This time he just sat there and let me loose.

Finally we had a full speed demo in the Subaru.

During the day my wife won a lap in an Ariel Atom but declined as having leg problems she could not have got into or out of the car.

The venue included supercar days all sharing the same track, Ferrarris, Lambos etc along the same lines as the Caterham experience.

We were both bought the days by our wives so don't know the cost but they both said we had a good day for the money. While we were there the day could be taken at our own pace, more or less, taking the drives at times we wanted. Everyone there, both staff and other customers were very friendly.

The Caterham was probably the cheapest option but was what we wanted anyway.

We were planning on going for another go in a supercar this year but our friend is now in a bad way due to cancer so have had to delay this for now.

Edited by ohsoslow on 30/08/2011 at 15:33

Track Days - unthrottled

My dad had a track day in a Ferrari and a Porsche at Oulton Park. The company had hired track time while there were other events on, so the track was very crowded.

They had a simple trick for keeping your speed down-the chaperone makes you change gear at 3000 RPM. Of course these cars don't come alive 5-6000RPM. Understandably they are keen to protect expensive cars, but I think my dad was a bit crestfallen at how active the supervision is.

Otoh, a friend of mine has done 'skids and skills' type track days in 'ordinary' cars and was thrilled with the events-they really let you throw the car around.

So, out of a statistically conclusive sample of two, I confidently conclude that you get more kicks in an ordinary car, rather than the exotic stuff.

I was looking at Three Sisters near Wigan, since it's not too far away. They run Audi R8s :-D

Thanks for the suggestions! That Silverstone one sounds awesome, Tom.

Track Days - unthrottled

I really hope your day is crowned by a man in a kevlar race suit approaching Mr B and saying "If you just want to give the camera to the miss, then we can have the safety briefing and get started..."

You really are a sweetheart, unthrottled. I can't say I haven't experienced similar - 'Hello Dr Bobbin, good to meet you sir' 'Ahem, that's the missus actually'.

Track Days - mss1tw

I'm booked up for the Ron Haslam Honda race school tomorrow - Silverstone and a hired CBR600 >:-) awesome

Track Days - Rats

I did an Impreza session at Three Sisters, found that the track wasn't really suitable for this, too tight and twisty meaning very slow speeds, even when the instructor was driving. Much better was a Peugeot 306 GT6?? at Donnington, or even the Toyota day at Brands.

Thanks Rats - useful to have some info from someone who's been on what is effectively my local track!

That Ron Haslam school sounds scarily fun!

I think Mr B wants to have a go at 'normal' cars so I will have a search...

Track Days - Craigdm

I've done Three Sisters, and while it's a brilliant Kart track, it's a bit too narrow for anything bigger.

Much better option would be a trip down to Oulton Park. It's a classic British track and does all sorts of events. Last one I did there was a single seater deal. A few laps with the instructor in an Audi TT, then you take over for a few laps and he tells you if you're good enough to try the single seaters.

Proper Audi powered cars, although restricted to 5K on the revs. I had to drive in bare feet as my size 10's wouldn't fit the pedal box and got black flagged after about 10 laps for nudging a slow coach at the hairpin. No complaints though as I was knackered by then!

Cheers Craig. Oulton Park looks pretty good and not too far away (I'm loath to travel for 4 hours for 10 minutes on a track). I do like the look of the Audi days too; I saw one with a TTRS, RS5 and R8 - heaven!! Ha; clearly, since your feet got stuck, these cars are designed for those of us with size 5 feet :-))

Track Days - Rats

YW Bobbi, I would also reccomend Oulton Park, had a Vauxhall taster day there when the Vectra was launched (I think) had about five laps in one, lots of cars on track but then it was all paid for by Vx, so they were going for quantity, I'm sure a track day would be good....it might also be worth trying to find out which tracks some of the top drivers instruct at, as sometimes you can get lucky and get instructed by and driven by one!!

I have found (although it is at Silverstone) a Renaultsport day.

Doing all this 'track day' googling has made me want to buy some sort of old supercharged beast and bezz it round a few tracks. One can but dream...!

I like the sound of some handling courses out there; I am not the Stig just yet ;-)

Track Days - bathtub tom

>>made me want to buy some sort of old supercharged beast and bezz it round a few tracks.

You'll need to be rich!

I know people who've worn a set of new tyres to canvas on a spirited track day.

Track Days - unthrottled

Not to mention the wear and tear on the car. It's a rich boys' (and girls'-oops!) game sadly.

Not to mention the wear and tear on the car. It's a rich boys' (and girls'-oops!) game sadly.

I know :-((

On the upside, I am now booked on one in Staffordshire where I get to whizz round in a Subaru, then an Audi R8, and then a 4x4 off road. Awesome!

I did also find 'Segway rally racing'. Google it!

Unthrottled's dream day out!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 01/09/2011 at 17:34

Track Days - unthrottled

Yay!

Unthrottled's dream day out!

Ha ha...ha. Now that you're on the verge of becoming a Physics teacher shouldn't you be scouring Autotrader for a more suitable mode of transport-like a W plate Nissan Almera. : P

Nissans are very reliable. How about this one? www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20111538489...p

Ooh in turquoise too. I'll have to buy a pair of shoes to match.

The only Nissans I could actually bring myself to buy are the 350 or 370Z variety though. Who says a teacher must have a saddo car?!

Track Days - oldtoffee

I had a good time on a Ferrari experience half day. Bit of a swiz as the Ferrari was only one of four cars we were allowed to drive on an airfield track but I suppose it has more marketing clout? Cars were an Impreza 330 bhp rally car, Porsche 911 360 bhp, Ferrari 360 400 bhp and the winner for me Lotus Elise with 120bhp. Good fun and 4 completely different cars. Not a long stint in each but taken out by the instructors, given really useful guidance and let loose for several "laps." On the last lap it was amusing to fly on past the conservatively positioned braking point markers and watch the instructor shift uncomfortably in their seat. Lottery win - Porsche over the Ferrari every day, and an Elise for the weekend.