Citroen Xsara Diesel 'Y' Reg - Citroen Xsara Diesel loosing coolant water - propolis

Hi,

I have noticed that the car is loosing coolent water, because I have to fill it up every day or 2. The car never overheats on long drives, but the coolant warning light come on when I drive in heavy traffic.

The cars performance is OK and I cant see any water in the oil, or see water on the floor. Not sure what to look for. Replaced the coolant pressure cap with a new, made no difference

Eddie

Citroen Xsara Diesel 'Y' Reg - Citroen Xsara Diesel loosing coolant water - Collos25

More than likely just boiling away you need a sniffer test doing on the engine it sounds as though the head gasget has gone.

Citroen Xsara Diesel 'Y' Reg - Citroen Xsara Diesel loosing coolant water - Peter.N.

Look for teltale signs of coolant leakage around the filler cap and overflow, if there is no sign of leakage anywhere else the chances are that the head gasket is leaking and pressurising the system and blowing the water out. You could try leaving the filler cap not screwed down tight. if the leakage is not to bad this could stop water loss but it also lowers the boiling point so don't thrash it.

The gaskets seem to go at around 150,,000 miles on the 1.9 engine the Hdi's usually last longer.