Citroen Xantia - Turbo Diesel - Advice / Opinions on cheapie! - flyinghigh

Hi Guys,

I am a new poster on here.

Looking to buy a 1997 Citroen Xantia LX Turbo Diesel. Has got 3 months tax. 7 months mot. We are currently renovating our second house and was looking for a cheap car to run around. Saw this in the local rag....and though why not.

I have never had a citroen before so thought....at least i will get to own one, Its advertised at £350, I have considered the usual mondeo / vectra as well. Just fancy owning / drive the xantia :) (Have never driven a citroen!!)

Now at that price im guessing i can run it till the tax is out, and even scrap it for £150-200.

What do you guys think?

Obviously I will need it to drive ok as I will be driving it to the builders yard / rubbish tip etc.

Anything I got to look out for? How do I check the suspension is ok?

Also the 3rd gear crunches if you change fast, its ok when done slowly (so the owner tells me)

Come on guys...what you think?

thanks

Citroen Xantia - Turbo Diesel - Advice / Opinions on cheapie! - barney100

Chap I know bought a VW Passat for £300 and kept it 18 months, just scrapped it for £220 so I reckon thats a great result. I had an Simca for £300 and it gave great dervice, you just need a bit pf luck.

Citroen Xantia - Turbo Diesel - Advice / Opinions on cheapie! - Collos25

Make sure the suspension works as any problems will cost a fortune compared against the purchase price.

Citroen Xantia - Turbo Diesel - Advice / Opinions on cheapie! - Mike H

The thing that sticks in my mind, having read it here probably a couple of years ago, is that if the heater matrix lets go, you might as well write the car off particularly at that age! Best to check the carpets are dry........

Citroen Xantia - Turbo Diesel - Advice / Opinions on cheapie! - madf

Check the brakes work... no funny pedal actions.. They are driven off the suspension.

With the car running and handbarke on, try the suspension height lever, The suspension should go UP and down. If not, it's clapped.

Open the bonnet and look at the suspension pump - on the driver's side -.. It should make a rattle/wheezing noise as it pums every 30 secs or so.. Every 10 secs .. it's clapped out..

Citroen Xantia - Turbo Diesel - Advice / Opinions on cheapie! - SteveLee
Open the bonnet and look at the suspension pump - on the driver's side -.. It should make a rattle/wheezing noise as it pums every 30 secs or so.. Every 10 secs .. it's clapped out..

If the clicking from the pump occurs frequently then the accumulator sphere is shot (quick and cheap to replace) - the pump will be fine.

If the car bounces over bumps then the spheres need replacing or recharging. Xantias are pretty reliable but of course this is an old car now so all bets are off. The suspension spheres are quick and cheap to replace, if they are knackered I'd use it as an excuse to get the car for scrap money then put new from spheres in (£30-40 a corner) the fronts are usually the ones to go.

Unless you just want to run the car until the tax runs out, make sure the suspension fluid is green - some poeple replace it with cheaper ATF fluid which will damage the various seals.

Citroen Xantia - Turbo Diesel - Advice / Opinions on cheapie! - Red Rich

I have had 2 Xantias , my 5th Citroen in all.

Make sure cam-belt is changed recently I have lost 2 cars with snapped belts. Whilest there check belt tensioner/water pump as failure of these snaps belt too. . Otherwise very good load lugger and great motorway car. I go to france 2-3 times a year and cruising at 90 all day no problem and still gives good mpg in the diesel.

I have a 2.1 12 valve version at the moment.

Comments on the suspension are true to a point, I have had some cars with no problems for years, but 1 (present) did (pump) but dont let that put you off! After 100000+ miles plus any car might have a problem at some time.