Rover 216si - Fan on Continually. - lily_my_lovely
I do hope someone can help me with this question, as it has been a long ongoing saga...

I've got a Rover 216si (P Reg 1996). From day one (it was bought second hand from dealer two years ago) the engine cooling fan has always come on within minutes of starting the engine.

I took it to a Rover Dealer to have a look at and they said that it was the "secondary fan" that I could hear which was supposed to be on contunually. Well I was surprised by this as I've never heard another Rover 200 series drive past me with the fan running contuinally. So I took it to another Rover Dealer (Premier Motors) and they said either the thermostat was gone on the EMS was incorrectly tuned.

After 6 months I took it in for its service (to Lex) and mentioned the fan. As the car was under warranty, they changed the thermostat and checked the engine management system. The fan still came on.

Since this time I've had the water pump changed, the head gasket changed, and many other things (all under the warranty) and the fan still comes on.

Does anyone know if it IS supposed to be on continually and if not... what the hell is wrong!

I doesn't stop anything working, but you can hear my car ticking over from 50o yards away cos the fan is quite loud. All my friends know when I am outside their house!

Merry Christmas all. x

Rover 216si - Fan on Continually. - jud
I don't know for sure but if its the engine cooling fan it should not be on except when the engine gets too hot i.e. idling for long periods in stationary traffic. Normally it is temperature activated so when a temperature sensor is made it pulls in a relay which in turn supplies the fan, check to see if the relay is always in, if so refer to the wiring schematic the temperature sensor could be faulty.
The idea of using the electric fan is to save energy, in the old days a cooling fan was fitted to the engine which in turn took power from the engine.
However if the car is fitted with AIRCON a secondary cooling fan will always be running while AIRCON is selected, check by selecting economy if you have it or it switch selected just turn it off.
Rover 216si - Fan on Continually. - lily_my_lovely
We don't have aircon (ahhh how I wish!) so he can't be that.

I'm really confused and the noise really just bugs me now.
Rover 216si - Fan on Continually. - Baskerville
I wonder if this car had a cooling problem before you bought it and someone made a "get you home" roadside repair that was never removed. Could have been the AA or RAC bypassing the thermostatic switch on the radiator, with the idea that a proper repair would be made later.
Rover 216si - Fan on Continually. - Richard Turpin
Sounds to me as if either the switch in the radiator has failed on, which they do, (and would have the same effect as ChrisR says)or else the relay has done the same thing. Either way the repair is cheap.
First try disconnecting the switch on the side of the radiator. If the fan stops, change that switch. If not, unplug the relay. if the fan stops, change the relay.
if you really can't find out what's wrong, disconnect the fan by cutting and insulating the wires and fit an aftermarket fan such as a Kenlowe. Whatever you do, don't go near a main dealer. I did with a similar problem on an Audi and they charged me £250 to "diagnose" that the relay had failed AND they had the car for a week.
Best of luck. Richard
Rover 216si - Fan on Continually. - David Lacey
If the car has a two pin swich on the radiator end tank with two green(?) wires going to it, I'd change that switch. Part Number GVS104; it has been superseded recently.

If it doesn't have that switch, I'm afraid it's bad news.

Some 200's (all 400's) have ECU controlled cooling fans - all it takes is an earth path to be found through the ECU by means of a crack or corrosion etc and the fan will run.

Best get the switch checked, then the wiring for any shorts then the ECU.

Sorry!

MG-Rover Questions? forums.mg-rover.org/
Rover 216si - Fan on Continually. - kithmo
Some fan switches switch the fan on by earthing it. If yours does, then the wire, from the continuously running fan to the switch, may be chafing some where and earthing.
Rover 216si - Fan on Continually. - David Lacey
That's how the 25 and 45 cooling fans are actuated nowadays

MG-Rover Questions? forums.mg-rover.org/