New versus 3 years old quandary - Man without a plan

Hi folks,

In 6 months the lease on my Smart ForTwo is up and thinking about starting a family, looking for something a big bigger :)

The quandary I have - our other car is a Fiesta shape before the current one and we love it to bits so quite tempted by the Focus next...

The quandary though, is would it be better to look at a 3 year old Focus (about £7k for a Diesel variant) or consider something new like the Hyundai i30 CRDi bargain I saw on here, brand new for £10,755?

An extra £3,755 gets me a 3 year newer car with a 5 year warranty.

Assuming I keep whatever car for 5 years, the extra is only £755 odd per year....

Saying that, I haven't factored in depreciation which will be a lot more on the brand new car to the Focus.

Thoughts?

Edited by Avant on 29/07/2011 at 23:19

New versus 3 years old quandry - GazNicki

The hyundai will not hold it's value as well as the Focus, so while the cost is a mere £3755 extra you will lose much more than that in the long run.

Ideally you would want to keep the Hyundai for the 5 years so that you benefit from the Warranty - but the value of the car in 5 years will be much less than the value of a Ford Focus. This is due to many people being "badgist" which means that the likes of a Focus holds it's value well. If you opted for the Focus and kept that for 5 yrs your financial loss would probably not be much different.

It really is up to you though. If the thought of a new car sounds appealing and you plan on keeping it for the 5 years, it could be worth it provided you are not too worried about re-sale value.

New versus 3 years old quandry - jamie745

I'd never recommend anybody to buy a brand new car, the first owner always loses the biggest chunk of its value. I'd never buy a new car regardless of how much money i had, let some other chump buy it and take the hit. Bottom line is between them two the Focus is a better car and its cheaper.

New versus 3 years old quandry - Paul G1pdc

also you said its only £3500 difference...

trust me thats loads when you have a child, and drop down to one wage....the house hold bills are the same, but (have you seen the cost of nappies, cots, baby seats, clothes for little ones, and every month or so, its a whole new loads of clothes....) you only have one wage and another person to pay for....

save the 3.5k you'll need it later, get the focus. (if you can an estate,,,) its easier for lobbing in a pram , high chair moses basket etc etc and all the other junk you'll be carrying round. hahahaahah.....

also when the baby....(and it will) throws up milky sick all over the seats you'll be glad you hadn't just paid 10k for the car.....hahahahah......trust me i speak the truth....

also take spare clothes for yourself and partner,,,for when baby is sick / wees on you when you've gone out for the day!!!!

don't know about the focus, but check if you can turn off the front passenger airbag for when you carry baby in the front....some cars like the mini my sister has (03 reg) you have to pay the dealer to turn it on and off.....

paul.

dad to 2 boys.....now 5 and 8.

New versus 3 years old quandry - jc2

Just remember that most of these ultra-long warranties require DEALER servicing/inspections.

New versus 3 years old quandry - Craigdm

I'd never recommend anybody to buy a brand new car, the first owner always loses the biggest chunk of its value. I'd never buy a new car regardless of how much money i had, let some other chump buy it and take the hit. Bottom line is between them two the Focus is a better car and its cheaper.

I was of the same mind for many years, but you only have to look through these fora to realise that cars go wrong, and when that happens I'd much rather have the piece of mind of being the cars first owner with the increase consumer protection that offers. There are good deals to be had buying new these days. I've gone from 20 years and over 35 used cars to now being firmly in the buy new camp. Incidentally hyundia were in the top 10 for reliability today. Ford were nowhere. Consider that before buying a 3 year old car.
New versus 3 years old quandry - expatsFL

Go for the Focus.

On the badge front, thye Hyundai is the biggest/fastest seller here in west central Floriduh right now!

I was of the same mind for many years, but you only have to look through these fora to realise that cars go wrong, and when that happens I'd much rather have the piece of mind of being the cars first owner with the increase consumer protection that offers. There are good deals to be had buying new these days. I've gone from 20 years and over 35 used cars to now being firmly in the buy new camp. Incidentally hyundia were in the top 10 for reliability today. Ford were nowhere. Consider that before buying a 3 year old car.

Ford also sell alot more than Hyundai, so more chance of there being a bad apple. Yes cars go wrong and maybe im better at choosing second hand cars than some other people but ive never been frightened enough to waste all my money on buying a new car. The perfect formula is to buy a car which is 3-5 years old, below average mileage for its age and in above average condition which had its first three years problems done on warranty making it essentially as good as new for half the cost.

New versus 3 years old quandry - unthrottled

Ford also sell alot more than Hyundai, so more chance of there being a bad apple.

But the proportional of bad apples doesn't depend on the absolute number, does it? Although it might yield a sample which is statistically too small to be of use.

When im looking at a 2008 Ford Mondeo TDCi Ghia automatic with sat nav for less than 7grand on auto trader i have to feel sorry for the chump who bought it new. Buying new cars makes no sense on any level to me. I think if a cars lasted 12 years and done alot of miles then it must work obviously, or else it wouldnt of done.

Have to agree. Let some other chump act as the Guinea pig. If I see a one year old car for sale I tend to think "lemon". It might not be, but if a car is worth having, why get rid of it after only 12 heavily depreciating months?

Guinea pig is a perfect analogy for a first car buyer. Rich person with more money than sense, let them test it out for three years and see if its well made, if it is, i'll take it off them 3 years on for half the price thank you very much. Even though ive hunted around and found cars even older than that, like someone where i work has just bought a T reg Focus with low mileage in terrific nick, not even a trolley ding in it, full service history, quiet engine, drives well. Paid £1000 plus his s*** heap in part ex i think, and i have to say it has to be a rival for a brand new Focus, because i look at his and if someone was to ask 'why should i buy a new one over this car for 1k' i really wouldnt be able to answer them.

New versus 3 years old quandry - TeeCee

You remind me of when a mate went to test drive a TVR.

He pulled away briskly from a set of lights and the salesman disappeared into the back. In line with TVR's legendary build quality, the bolts securing the passenger seat to the floor were missing....

The response: "Yes sir, this sort of thing happens all the time. In fact I would strongly recommend that you look at our stock of used vehicles. That way you avoid the waiting list and also some other poor prune will have had the pleasure of sorting out all the problems for you......."

Have to agree. Let some other chump act as the Guinea pig. If I see a one year old car for sale I tend to think "lemon". It might not be, but if a car is worth having, why get rid of it after only 12 heavily depreciating months?

I can see you point, however having just swopped my 13 month old IX35 simply because I was bored one day it shows there are plenty of people out there for whom money is not their number one priority.

I 'only' lost £1750 for 16K miles, so I think if you buy the right car at the right time you'll do okay buying new.

New versus 3 years old quandry - Roly93

I'd never recommend anybody to buy a brand new car, the first owner always loses the biggest chunk of its value..

Especially a ford !! Good cars but unrealistic new prices even discounted..

New versus 3 years old quandry - davmal

I like the smell of new cars.

Charity shops are cheap for clothes - cheaper than buying new. Still wouldn't shop in one. Second hand apple catchers?

New versus 3 years old quandry - Paul G1pdc

if you like the smell of a new car...

Halfords sell "magic trees" ......"new car smell"

cost about £2.....

hahahaahaha

Paul.

What possesses people to use magic trees?? They're horrible!

New versus 3 years old quandry - Bobbin Threadbare

if you like the smell of a new car...

Halfords sell "magic trees" ......"new car smell"

cost about £2.....

hahahaahaha

Paul.

LOL! A bit of Autoglym to give that shininess to the interior of the doors and the dashboard and a little tree and you're sorted. I have a blue tree in my car :-) The yellow ones make the car smell like cake though.

But you don't even smoke!

Do you not wash? Is there a rotting corpse in the boot? Why??

Whenever I get in a car with a tree in, the synthetic "Fresh Scottish Glen" PAHs turns my stomach-and I normally like the smell of hydrocarbons.

Is there a rotting corpse in the boot? Why??

My goodness you've found me out!!

The smell of petrol, diesel, jet fuel, tarmac and things like creosote make me feel really nauseous. The tree is better. The previous keeper of the car must have had a dog as that's what it smelled like when I bought it!

The smell of petrol is the only saving grace of filling up. The tarry goodness of creosote is another joy to behold. On the other hand, I find carboxylic acids nauseating -even in tiny concentrations. If somebody has a bag of liberally vingered chips on the other side of town, my nose will know about it.

If anyone sees an engineery-looking man with a fairly old French car, in the north Cheshire area, he's definitely high. See above.

Definitely. Years ago, my folks had oil central heating and I would take it upon myself to frequently check the level in the tank and take deep, deep, breaths. 1000 gallons of lovely, oily vapour. Never did me any harm...

Smells are an important part of the in-car experience. Dashboards seem to create a homely ambience when they get hot. I don't know why.

New versus 3 years old quandry - Chris79

There seems to be a lot of "New Car Bashing" going on here. Lets face it - If you buy a new car and accept the fact that you are going to take a hit on depreciation and accept it then whats the problem. Its no more financially reckless than paying 6 pounds for 20 cigarettes and then setting fire to them!.

There is certainly an argument for buying an older car, I am presently lucky enough to have the best of both worlds. A 8 year old car that touch wood is perfectly reliable and does exactly what it says of the tin but if im being honest just isnt as nice a place to be as the other car which is only 6 months old.

If you want peace of mind and a nice car then buy the new car, Just accept that your gloing to lose money if you chop it in after 3 years. If you intend to keep if for more than dont worry about it.

Or save having to make a large capital outlay or larger monthly repayments and take a risk on a older car. It may be fine but there is that niggling doubt that it could be a lemon however carefully you chose it.

This to means seems common sense but it seems some people feel that everyone that buys a new car is silly. I dont agree.

Whatever you chose I hope it works out for you.

PS Personally if I was gong to buy second hand I would buy Japanese and from a main dealer.

An example of buying the right car at the right time:

Guy at work bought a new KIA Pro ceed this week. List price was 15.8k, local dealer was knocking them out for 12.5k. Same cars on a 10 plate are advertised at 12k with 10k miles.

I accept people forking out £22k on a fully loaded Mondeo need their heads checking, but the blanket statement 'never buy new' just doesn't hold true anymore.

IMHO, of course
New versus 3 years old quandry - memyself-aye
We have an (old style) Ford KA now 3
New versus 3 years old quandry - memyself-aye
what I typed was not what a
New versus 3 years old quandry - davmal

"A magic tree makes it smell like a new car"

That's like shopping at the Al Karama though.

It may smell like "it" (though it doesn't actually, unless you're borderline anosmic or suffering from chronic rhinitis), but it isn't "it".

I wouldn't want a new car or a counterfeit new car. To me a new car is like sheltered accommodation-great for the elderly, infirm, and impaired, but of no use to anyone else. I don't understand why anyone with enough capital for a new car would bother about warranties and gap insurance. The paradox is that if you can afford a new car, you don't need one. If you can't afford the repairs on an old car, you can't afford a new one!

New versus 3 years old quandry - turbo11

The paradox is that if you can afford a new car, you don't need one. If you can't afford the repairs on an old car, you can't afford a new one!

CORRECT. I like cars full stop, but I love new ones. For me buying a car is like buying white goods. Purchase, use, wear them out or get bored of. buy a new one. If a car is taking up too much of my valuable time with repairs and servicing ( busmens holiday)then it goes.Depreciation ?-always been fortunate to earn plenty, so never give it a thought.

Some people dont care about depreciation, thats up to them, and more benefit to the second, third and fourth owners who will be getting bargains at their expense, but the maths does state that buying a new car makes precious little sense. If theres one thing i love its cheap cars which punch above their weight, when i look at what people spend on a brand new Ford Ka or something of about 8k, i then go and see what they couldve got on the used market for 8grand and the result always makes them look like idiots. I spent £5,000 on my Jaguar, a car which probably cost 6-7 times more than that when it was new in 2004 and other than the fact the Sat Nav doesnt work (at first i thought it didnt have it, turns out it does but it doesnt work) i cant find anything which makes it differ from a brand new one.

Some people like to keep cars for years and spend thousands in restoring and keeping them going when buying a different car would be more sensible, but thats up to them as well. Maybe im too much of a pragmatic sensible business person that i always look for the most i can get for the least amount of money, meaning both extremes always get ruled out.

New versus 3 years old quandry - Chris79

Jamie 745,

Im glad that you are a happy with your 5 grand Jag, But calling people who buy new cars idiots and chumps is a bit strong. I hope your Jag works out well for you, But it has to be said that if it breaks down and costs 2 grand to get fixed im not going to be in any hurry to stop and offer you a lift. Wouldn't it just be easier to accept that some people don't share your opinions, But hey thats what makes the world an interesting place.

Just to prove we all have different opinions I wouldn't have bought a older jaguar. why buy a potentially unreliable executive when there are so many different but better alternatives, Merc W124, Lexus to name a few. Or even still you could have virtually had a brand new Fiat Panda, May be doesn't have the same comfort but is probably a better car in the long term.

New versus 3 years old quandry - turbo11

Jamie 745,

Im glad that you are a happy with your 5 grand Jag, But calling people who buy new cars idiots and chumps is a bit strong.

Yes, its like saying people who buy others cast offs are peasants or chavs. I will spend more than £5k on a holiday. We all have different tastes, standards and cashflow. One of my friends buys a new Ferrari every 12 to 18 months.550 maranello,612 Scaglietti, F430,California, 458 Italia, 599 at present. Depreciation never enters his head.He loses that sort of money down the back of the sofa.What we would spend in a lifetime, he will spend on cars in a single year. ie. 2009 he spent over £400K on cars. (The 458 italia, he has just sold for more than what he paid for it-probably before it burst into flames!) ;)

And they say we're all in it together.
New versus 3 years old quandary - Avant

This often comes up for discussion: nothing wrong with that, but let's respect each other's opinions. There is no need to call someone a chump because they disagree with you.

Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford a new car: those of us who are have the choice, and although finance is an essential consideration in buying a car it isn't the only one. Personally if I buy a new car I try to go for one that holds its value: we have got excellent deals on our current Octavia vRS and Mini Cooper convertible.

If I wanted a Ford I'd buy secondhand: there are plenty of nearly-new ones which haven't been sold in disgust, but have been run by employees of Ford itself of their dealers. The same goes for Vauxhall, although I wouldn't ever want one!

Edited by Avant on 29/07/2011 at 23:32

New versus 3 years old quandary - jamie745

I wasnt calling anyone on here a chump. I used it in a general term to describe a person who buys a new car to sell it for 20% of what they paid just three years on. With the second hand buyer clearly being the beneficiary.

New versus 3 years old quandary - davmal

As I said, you could shop at Oxfam, get second hand undercrackers, - just as functional as Primark's best - but who wants that? I like to know that those skidders are mine, not someone elses, likewise the sticky fingerprints and bogies.

By the way, which car loses 80% in three years?

New versus 3 years old quandary - jamie745

Ok 20% may have been over egging it a bit but cars are not like clothes, unless you wrap your car around your body, fill it with sweat and chuck it in a washing machine. Plenty of cars have plenty of life left after 10 years, the same cant be said for clothes. I do hate apples and oranges comparisons. Like i could ask you if you'd only buy a brand new house? Would you refuse to buy one someone else has lived in previously? I know you'll come back and say 'ah but property prices go up as well! cars only depreciate' but your point seemed to be you dont buy things pre-owned.