What cheap load lugger would you go for... - rpmmatt

Due to a new job I need a cheapo load lugger. W reg or younger, around £1000-£1500, must be an estate and a diesel.

Other than the usual choices of Astra/Focus, maybe a Mondeo if you get fleabay on a good day I have seen a few Vectra Estates and Laguna Tourers with fairly good specs and insurance isnt to bad, especially on Vectra. I have been reading the site and there seem to be a few issues around Vectra and Laguna reliabilty, so not sure whether to chance it or not. Anyone living with these cars? Are they more trouble than they are worth?

Struggling to think of alternatives, Pug 406's seem more to insure. Maybe an Octavia? Have looked at something like a Zafira, but its tough to find a cheap one that isnt a wreck.

What cheap load lugger would you go for... - GazNicki

An early Mk3 Mondeo Estate in TDCi guise will serve you very well. The TDCi 115 is cheaper to insure than the TDCi 130, but many of them have been reported to bed in with as much BHP as the TDCi 130. Lots of torque on these. Opt for a lower spec (LX or Zetec) to keep the miles low if needs be, although there isn't much difference in price between the higher specs if you shop around.

MPG return on the Mondeo is pretty good, and the ride is exceptional. I would avoid the Mk2 Diesel or a Mk3 in standard TD guise as the engines are loud and far from refined. The TDCi performs much better.

If you are willing to travel for the right car, then you will find a TCDi Mondeo reletively cheaply.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20112840313...5 <£1000 for a Zetec with only 95k miles. (this is a TD engine though).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20113040575...9 if you think you can negotiate £200 or so off the price, its a winner.

Edited by GazNicki on 27/07/2011 at 15:36

What cheap load lugger would you go for... - jamie745

Yes the older Mondeo standard TD engines were loud, unrefined and werent much more efficient than their thoroughly decent petrol units of the time. I had a 406 HDi saloon and it was a top notch car, people may say they're unreliable but if you can get a decent well maintained well serviced one if its gotten to this age then its pretty good. Taxi firm near me has them and put nigh on 300k on theirs and still have no complaints. Get the HDi over the older 1.9 turbo units though.

What cheap load lugger would you go for... - Avant

Have a look for an Octavia estate with the 1.9 TDI engine: this doesn't have some of the unreliable complications of the 2.0 PD engine.

What cheap load lugger would you go for... - veryoldbear

Saab 95 2.2tid. It sounds like a tractor, does 42 to the gallon, has comfy seats, and best comedy cup-holder in the business.