VW Golf CL 1.6 - 1997 - Whirring noise at rear of car - sr.heather

Hi, recently I've noticed a whirring/humming noise coming from the back of my VW Golf when going above 30-40mph. The noise increases in pitch but not volume when accelerating. What are the possible causes for this and should I be worried?

VW Golf CL 1.6 - 1997 - Whirring noise at rear of car - davmal
Not uncommon for worn tyres to generate a speed related hum or whine. Wheels slightly out of track wear the tyre into a faintly serrated edge, and I've noticed that the more worn the tyres, the more significant.
If you were to run a flat hand over the tyre, against the direction of rotation and feel a slight saw tooth effect (a rippling) this could be it. Nothing to worry about, and corrrecting the tracking will not reduce the sound, you'd have to replace the tyre and correct the tracking.
It could also, or alternatively, be a damaged or worn wheel bearing, this noise I would expect to be more noticeable during cornering and can be anything from a whine to the sound of a machine gun.
Easiest to get the tyres looked at first.
VW Golf CL 1.6 - 1997 - Whirring noise at rear of car - Big John

On a Golf this age it is likely to be a wheel bearing (easy and cheapish to fix).

It is the later higher spec more powerful Golfs (& Skoda Octavias)with low-profile alloys that suffer from strange and noisy rear tyre wear

VW Golf CL 1.6 - 1997 - Whirring noise at rear of car - Avant

Moved to Technical.