Help HJ -Fiesta Rust :( - Blue {P}
HJ - I noticed in the car by car a little while ago that you mentioned rust on the weatherseal on the A-pillar of the 99 - 02 Fiestas.

Well, my 6 month old example appears to be suffering from this, as well as a problem at the very top corner of the driver's door where it must be closing against the rear passenger door, hence chipping the paint, leading to a nice little spot of rust (fortunately invisible when the door is shut so far).

I'm taking it in for the repair next week, but have two questions:

1) Is the rusting A-pillar very common, if so, is it likely that the repair will fix it permanently, or once the car is suffering is it unlikely to ever be fixed?

2) As part of the driver's door repair, am I entitled to ask them to perform any necessary adjustments on the door to stop it contacting the rear passenger door? As it's fairly obvious that this is what has caused the problem.

Any advice, thoughts, or criticisms on my choice of buying a Ford will be appreciated, well, except the criticism bit because I won't take any notice. :)

Blue
Help HJ -Fiesta Rust :( - JamesH
Is is the actual A pillar or just the seal rusting?

The seal has metal inside. Mine started to rust within a few months where the two ends meet at the bottom. The dealer told me to speak to someone at the bodyshop. He then told me this was normal. You did well to convince them there was a fault needing repair.

Definitely get the doors adjusted. I have the Zetec-S and the door bottoms near the hinges rub the side skirts.

For the first few years there may not be a major problem. I see many early nineties Fiestas with rusting arches and realise my newish car will eventually meet the same fate.

James
underneath the arches - lezebre
Get a small sponge, not the one you use on the pristine bodywork, and gently - so as not to scratch the underseal - clean the back of the arch rims every time you wash the car.

LeZebre
underneath the arches - Blue {P}
It's the seal that goes down the A-Pillar and stops before past the windscreen (if that makes any sense) There is a small metal lip welded onto the A-Pillar which this seal attaches to, it is this metal lip that is rusting.

I try to clean the wheelarches, but the arch liners is so close to the arch that it makes it very difficult...

Blue
underneath the arches - lezebre
A well aimed jet of water should suffice then.

LeZebre
underneath the arches - Dwight Van Driver
.......or cup your hand and move around wheel arch and at same time direct hosepipe onto the palm of your hand deflecting water onto the collected dirt.....

DVD