Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - GT

I recently had some work done on my car by a main Citroen dealership to cure a knocking noise at the front when going over uneven ground. They diagnosed it as worn suspension ball joints. The work was done and I paid up, but the car is no different. I'm taking it back today; doubtless they will argue that even though the problem may not be cured, in their opinion it needed new suspension joints anyway. My argument is that I just wanted the problem fixed, and I've paid for something that didn't do that. I can envisage a scenario where they take the car in, find something else which needs replacing, do the work, but then they refuse to reduce the cost by the amount I spent before (or perhaps even a refund if it didn't cost as much). I imagine they would refuse to let me have the key to my car, so am I legally entitled to use my spare key to drive the car home ...is this tantamount to stealing my own car? Doubtless I could probably expect a summons for the cost of the new work, but I would fight it on the above basis.

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - jamie745

Have you signed any contract stipulating if the dealer feels the car requires work then you will have it done? (never heard of any such contract personally but you never know). Have you agreed to have this work done? Do you own this car? If the answers are no no and yes then take it. Go in and say "i'd like my car back please" and they should give you the key, they cant bill you for work that hasnt been done or force you to have work done that they think should be done. Just go and get it.

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - tmjs

I think if they fit new parts to your car and you then drive your car away without paying, then you'd be stealing the parts (but not the car). I don't know if the police would be interested or not, they might consider it a civil matter (i.e. it's up to the garage to sue you).

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - jamie745

But if they fit them parts when the customer said they didnt want them then isnt it their own fault if they dont get paid?

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - bonzo dog

My argument is that I just wanted the problem fixed, and I've paid for something that didn't do that

But unfortunately you are not paying them to fix it. You are paying them to work on the car to try to find the cause & to try to fix it.

They tell you what they think the cause is & you approve the work or not.

If it doesn't work it is still down to you, unless they have catagorically stated (which means you have it in writing) that they are certain that replacing the ball joints will rectify the problem.

Good luck

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - GT

But unfortunately you are not paying them to fix it. You are paying them to work on the car to try to find the cause & to try to fix it.

They tell you what they think the cause is & you approve the work or not.

If it doesn't work it is still down to you, unless they have catagorically stated (which means you have it in writing) that they are certain that replacing the ball joints will rectify the problem.

Good luck

I disagree - but only from my point of view (I'm no lawyer). The garage carried out a thorough examination of the fault and told me (verbally) they had found the cause of it and what needed replacing to fix it. They told me how much it would cost to fix, I approved them doing the work. As far as I'm concerned, I entered into a contract for the garage to fix the fault; I did not enter into a contract for them to spend money on replacing parts on a try-it-and-see basis. They are meant to be the experts. I trusted their judgement. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have test-driven the car before paying them.

They did not categorically state in writing that replacing the ball joints would fix the problem, but there surely has to be a reasonable expectation that this is what I was paying them for - rather than just practice at changing ball joints.

I once had a washing machine fault. It was examined by a repairer, he told me it needed a new part and quoted the cost of the part and the fitting. When he did the work, the machine still did not work. I was not charged for labour or the part. Upon further examination, he discovered another part had failed - he got a new one, fitted it, the machine worked again, and I was only charged for the second part. How is this different from my car? The washing machine repairer took the risk - correctly in my view. In the case of my car, the garage is not taking any risk at all. Why should I bear all the risk?

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - bonzo dog

I disagree - but only from my point of view

We disagree. The problem you have is that only the court can decide which of us is correct.

I genuinely hope it is you; please let us know how you get on

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - JOGON

A man is stood by his car at the side of the road, it has broken down. Little traffic and in the middle of nowhere. After an hour, a land rover pulls up and stops:- it says 'Bank Top Motors'. The chap says he is a mechanic, and that he can fix it for £50. The man eagerly agrees as he is in a hurry and has a need. The mechanic BANGS the bonnet, then walks round and turns the key and the car starts. He turns it off for 10 mins, then turns key and it starts. Again and it starts. He asks for payment having done his good works, and the man complains saying "that's a rip off - £50 to bang the bonnet". The mechanic explains he has over 30 years experience and has helped the man, adding that it was "only £1 to bang the bonnet, but £49 for knowing just where and when".

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Can I legally take my car from the garage? - Avant

Great joke! - but it's sad that the reason it's funny is that it's all too commonly the truth.