Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks
Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - gavmoffat

Hi all

I cracked the (plastic) front bumper of my 306 a while back and now some of the surrounding paintwork has begun to flake. Up close it looks horrible and I'm planning on doing a DIY job on it myself but not sure entirely what to do. For the bumper I was planning on the following...

1. Wash the surrounding area and allow to dry.

2. Apply bumper filler to cracked areas and allow to set before sanding down to smooth.

3. Prime the area to be painted with plastic primer.

4. Touch up the paintwork.

Have I missed anything? Also, I'm not sure what to do with regards to the flaky paint. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - Chris M

How about fitting a secondhand one? Plenty on ebay.

Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - unthrottled

What sort of paint does the car have? Metallic paints are a bear to touch up properly. I tried it once. A bit of wet and dry and can of spray paint gets the finish just right but the colour...

...loooked awful!

Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - davmal

Bumpers with an ABS shell can be a devil to get anything to stick to, apart from using ABS solvents, which can be quite aggresive and not easy to get hold of in any quantity. GRP and fillers can give the impression of adhering for a while but the bond can be a weak one and the constant stresses of wind/vibration exacerbate this.

A replacement, even from a scrapper that's in better condition and just needing cosmetic enhancement may be easier, as has been suggested.

Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - handygandy

If you have the time and patience to spare then you can get quite good DIY results. As said above it depends if your 306 has solid or metallic paint?

Quite a good painting guide here for plastic car parts which has everything you need to know if you did fancy giving it a go yourself.

Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - mickyh7

Don't even bother,its such a hard job,and will always look bad.

Buy a second hand bumper,bolt it on and the jobs done.

Think, if I earn £10 per hour,this WILL take 7 - 8 hours to get NEAR !

2nd hand mate £20 -£40

No Rocket Science to think about ?

Good Luck !

Edited by mickyh7 on 09/06/2012 at 22:12

Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - Dabooka

Or, seeing as this thread is more than a year old and the car in question had long been scrapped, don't even bother replying.

Just a thought..... ;-)

Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - mickyh7

Nice one ! I didn't notice !

Peugeot 306 - Cracked bumper and flaky paint - DIY repair? - Dabooka

For what it's worth I agree with everything you suggested; second hand all the way!

Value my car