DPF regeneration - starfield

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a diesel car. I drive mainly urban for about 40 min, the max. speed is 30mph and the distance 10 miles (one way). With this particular type of daily commute will I have trouble with the DPF?

In your reply, please include the make and model, the rev, duration and speed the manufacturer recommends that you drive for the DPF to regenerate.

Thanx

DPF regeneration - Bobbin Threadbare

I think I'd be going for a petrol in that case. Have a look on Parkers site and use their tool to work out whether it's economical to bother with diesel; you can put in lots of different car models and compare them as well.

The reason why i feel diesel will be better for me is that I would like to buy a bigger car (mondeo, hyundai ix35, kia sportage, etc). If you buy a petrol of these 'bigger' vehicles, the mpg is very high. If you choose to go for the lower spec petrol engine, it simply do not have enough torque to make the drive enjoyable.

DPF regeneration - ddr

There are two main kinds of DPF I know of. Additive based, and the other kind.

It's telling that the additive type ones need a warning light which actually tells you to go on a drive to regenerate it - there's no light for my type of DPF. People seem to have a lot of trouble with the additve based DPFs, often found on French engines.

I have a Mondeo with a solid DPF and I have had no trouble with it at all on a 15 minute each way commute.

Also there's no strict guidance from Ford on how to drive to enable the DPF to regenerate - it seems to take care of itself whatever the driving style.

Edited by ddr on 04/07/2011 at 17:20

DPF regeneration - unthrottled

People seem to have a lot of trouble with the additve based DPFs, often found on French engines.

That's not true. Most of the 'problems' regarding the eolys based DPF were related to owners complaining about having to refill the reservoir after 40000 miles.

The merit of using eolys is that it reduces the EGT required for soot burn off-which means less wasted diesel being sprayed into the exhaust stream to burn off the soot. But owners didn't notice that-they only saw the one off bill to refill the eolys tank.

DPF regeneration - craig-pd130

Had a 2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI manual for over 3 years and 36,000 miles. This has a coated DPF (no liquid additive).

Around 60 - 70% of my driving is journeys of less than 10 miles, and my daily commute is 4 miles each way in traffic.

I had no DPF problems. Ford seems to have built a mileage-based failsafe routine into the ECU which causes a regen every 500 miles or so, from my observations.

However I did keep the revs above 1,750 (using 3rd gear in 30 limits, I don't like to lug the engine at low rpm in high gears anyway) to keep exhaust gas temps high.

The one sure sign of a regeneration is the engine cooling fan coming on. You can hear this, and the exhaust note does change a little, becoming more 'boomy'. If you're near your destination and you hear this, it's worth driving round the block until the fan cuts out to complete the regeneration, in my view.

DPF regeneration - daveyjp

OP - similar trips to this were killing my DPF equipped X type. The EGR valve was also suffering and I'm sure these deposits weren't doing the turbo any good. This DPF was fitted to the Ford 2.2 diesel and I'm convinced it was done in haste as this engine was dropped by Ford in favour of PSA units.

I have gone back to a normally aspirated petrol B class and can get 40mpg on urban trips.

DPF regeneration - Roly93

I am thinking of buying a diesel car. I drive mainly urban for about 40 min, the max. speed is 30mph and the distance 10 miles (one way). With this particular type of daily commute will I have trouble with the DPF?

I dont think you sound like a diesel car candidate. I have an Audi A4 TDI with DPF and do on average 2 motorway journeys of over 150 miles each week. In between my wife uses the car and so far in 4 months I have seen my car do 1 DPF regeneration after 7 days of only round town driving. In your case I think you would see a lot of regen's and this would also affect the fuel consumption.

In the case of Eolys or Ad-Blu systems, as someone else has said it costs money to fill the tank but otherwise its okay. After all these fluids are based on wee wee as I understand it !

The general moral is dont buy a diesel unless you intend to work it hard.

Don't confuse Ad Blu with Eolys. Eolys is a catalyst for the particulate trap-Ad blu is for NOx reduction in a different catalytic converter altogether. Look forward to that in Euro VI!

I agree about the choice of engine though-after a diesel people are reluctant to go back to a petrol, but the petrol can be just as quick-just not as punchy.

How many different types of DPF are there? Which one good and which one are not?

Nowadays, I think there is only one general type. A soild catalyst based one. In the early days, the PSA group used one with a liquid catalyst that had to be refilled-which caused its unpopularity.

There are no 'good and bad', the main difference is in the application. Big engines driven gently tend to fare poorly. Mazda had a particular problem with their early 2.0D

Among the cars I have mentioned previously (ford mondeo, hyundai ix35, kia sportage, skoda octavia), which one do you think has got the most reliable diesel?