Chrysler Grand Voyager 2006, 2.8 CRD Auto. - Engine Cutting Out - phatboyroy

Has anybody experienced the engine cutting out on the above vehicle.

There’s no consistent event that would initiate it, but the engine would just cut out. I was crossing a junction the other day, it cut out, would not re-start, although it was turning over; switched off; cycled gears suspecting maybe a mis reading from the gear selector, (being auto it won’t start in gear). Luckily it started.

Although, last week it started up, but cut out almost immediately and refused to start. Cycled the gear selector, cranked over but it didn’t start. It took several cycling of the gears to get it to start. Last night it cut out, yet after cycling the gears, it would not even turn over. eventually it started in neutral.

Can anybody throw light. I’ve read elsewhere that someone experienced similar, and has changed the crank sensor and filters to no avail.

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2006, 2.8 CRD Auto. - Engine Cutting Out - andrewn1975

Hi,

I am currently helping my sister out with her 2006 2.8 CRD with exactly the same problem. It has been in and out of the garage and chrysler claim there is no problem they can find. I am so glad to have found someone else with the same problem, as I hope this proves there actually might be an underlying problem with the car, not just hers specifically. I am literally taking this up as we speak with the MD of Fiat UK and the ceo of chrysler. Would you please be able to email me your name, details and a description of your problem, as this will support both our cases. andrew.nicholls@gmail.com

thanks,

sorted it… £220 plus vat… july 2011

£80 for diagnostics; £85 for new filter; £40 filter/heater head; £15 wiring loom; £120 labour.

There’s a fuel heater on top of the fuel filter. The body cracks.

Apparently a not so rare problem.

The plug fails in the body; which heats the plastic till it cracks; allowing air in. Also allows diesel out into the plug which conducts and arcs over; ergo vicious circle.

Which would explain our problem worsening over the past few months.

They have to cut the old plug off, and splice the new plug from a new loom onto to old loom, hence the £15 item ‘wiring loom’.

hope this helps anyone with same issues.

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2006, 2.8 CRD Auto. - Engine Cutting Out - galileo

Also allows diesel out into the plug which conducts and arcs over; ergo vicious circle.

The plug may well arc once it's failed but surely diesel does not conduct electricity?

forgot to mention. they put the 'tester' on it several times over the last 12 months, and it hasn't thrown up any errors at all. HOWEVER, the auto mech drew on his experience, and correctly diagnosed the burnt out the fuel heater plug and socket. the mech also said that what happens is that when they replace the filter, (annual service etc) the 'o' ring is not immediately apparent, so it often gets left in the housing. the 'inexperienced' mechanic comes along and puts a new 'o' ring in there so now there's 2 ‘o’ rings. of course this doesn't seat properly which also allows air into the filter and fuel system.
so if the cutting out has occurred since a service... go for the 2 'o' rings, if it's a random thing pre-service then i would plump for the fuel heater housing.

I suspect there is a major problem with this car. You are not on your own, there are lots of people with the same problem and its downright dangerous. I can cite many examples where this failure has led to near accidents. I am currently building a case to take on Chrysler on this issue as currently they deny its existance and cannot apparently replicate the issue nor provide a solution. They need to be held to account. Would you be so kind as to email me at andrew.nicholls@gmail.com as your testimony to this issue would help yours and others cause. Thank you

please sign up to our wordpress and facebook page in reference to the voyager issue:

voyagerclassaction.wordpress.com/

www.facebook.com/pages/Class-Action-Law-Suit-Voyag...4

please pass on to others with the same problem