Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - caffeinated

I have the above model & I like i & had it for years.Isuzu supposed to be a great diesel engine

In December 2010 during that cold spell,the engine overheated and blew a hose together with the head,I took it to a garage & they guessed it must be the water pump,so I had the head shimmed and had it replaced ,together with the water pump & cam belt just for fun.........alas...still the same problem,so they guessed again & said it must be the thermostate? alas,again same problem.Now Im over £500 (new gaskets)

No they said,your head must have a crack,so get a new head,have it pressure tested & new gasket,Ive just done that.same problem and another £600.

Luckily these clowns are not surgeons,through their guess work,their patients would be dying left right & center.

I have not paid them yet,but I guess I have too,it appears they are just making work for themselves....what does one do in a case like this?

I just have to vent this nightmare somewhere

Edited by caffeinated on 03/07/2011 at 13:09

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - piston power

Cut your loses and buy a vectra diesel a much better car and younger mechanics know them you need a old time guy to work on that cavalier, a good car in it's day but it's had it now.

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - bonzo dog

You have my sympathies Cafeinated but garages are EXACTLY like doctors when it comes to diagnosing problems.

Unless the problem is really evident eg dead battery or a broken bone, both take a (hopefully) educated guess at what the likely cause is & fixes this.

If this doesn't work they then look at the possible causes & tries one of these, followed by more if this repair fails.

As you point out, the result of a medical mis-diagnosis can be death - in the papers all of the time.

Not trying to drum up work for the excessively costly franchised dealer but do I take it you didn't take it to a Vauxhall dealer?

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - unthrottled

Well, assuming the engine is original, it must have lasted nearly 20 years-that's not bad!

I'm afraid you can rap yourself on the knuckles for the car overheating in winter. That means that the coolant started to freeze and couldn't flow in and out of the engine. You must have carried on driving quite some time to blow the head...

Frozen coolant often destroys water pumps since the impellor can't rotate in the slush. Ancillary belt has to keep turning=breakage. If you'd stopped, and lef tthe car standing for 15 minutes you would have been fine.

But the garage shouldn't have carried out all that work on an engine that isn't worth much at all.

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - Avant

Welcome to the forum.

You'll hate me for saying this, but.... if it's a Cavalier rather than a Vectra it must be more than 15 years old. Generally it's not a good idea to spend more on repairs than a car itself is worth: there are exceptions, but a Vauxhall Cavalier isn't one of them.

Sorry - but I think you should flog it for what you can get for it. Old diesel engines can be liable to expensive failure, so think carefully whether you need a diesel.

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - RT

Welcome to the forum.

You'll hate me for saying this, but.... if it's a Cavalier rather than a Vectra it must be more than 15 years old. Generally it's not a good idea to spend more on repairs than a car itself is worth: there are exceptions, but a Vauxhall Cavalier isn't one of them.

Sorry - but I think you should flog it for what you can get for it. Old diesel engines can be liable to expensive failure, so think carefully whether you need a diesel.

Unless it's a classic, there are no exceptions.

The Vectra-B is obviously younger than the Cavalier mk3 but that's it''s only merit. The Vectra-C was a huge improvement over both.

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - Avant

Agreed RT - classics are what I had in mind.

Although....I have a 10-year old Z3 'fun car' which isn't quite a classic, or not yet: would I spend money on, say, a new engine or gearbox? Debatable. I think I would, if only because without it the car would be fit only for scrap, and that 'costs' about £5,000.

Edited by Avant on 03/07/2011 at 21:13

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - unthrottled

Well if your Z3 ever needs scrapping for want of a new gearbox, just pass it on to a certain belligerent forum member...

You can get a second hand box or engine for a lot less than £5000!

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - caffeinated

Had I gone to a Vauxhall dealership,I would have been 3K down instead of 1K

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - corax

Agreed RT - classics are what I had in mind.

Although....I have a 10-year old Z3 'fun car' which isn't quite a classic, or not yet: would I spend money on, say, a new engine or gearbox? Debatable. I think I would, if only because without it the car would be fit only for scrap, and that 'costs' about £5,000.

The manual gearboxes on those BMW's, especially the bigger engined versions, are very strong. You'd be unlucky to break one or wear it out before the body crumbles. Compare that to the gearbox on my Avensis that whines quietly in most gears and feels just about adequate, although I may be worrying for nothing. Engine over heating (only needs to happen once) is more likely to render it scrap if it's the all alloy block. But I'd rather spend money on a Z3 than an old diesel Cavalier.

Edited by corax on 05/07/2011 at 15:16

Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3,1.7TD (Isuzu) - Garage work nightmare-costs mounting £££££££££ - Victorbox

" The Vectra-C was a huge improvement over both." It's debatable whether either Vectra B or C was an improvement on a Cavallier!

You could have bought a brand new engine for under £700: http://tinyurl.com/653626l