Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - strokebow

Hi,

I am looking to buy a car that will be used 5 days a week, 2 x 60 mile trips a day. Pretty much straight run: motorway and major A roads (very few/infrequent stoppages).

The main criteria I have are:

- High MPGs

- Good safety (4 or 5 star)

- Low Insurance

Other criteria would include good reliability and not exceeding ~£4k. The cheaper the better, although I would pay more if it represented good value.

Basically, I would like to buy a car that meets these criteria and keep it for about 10 years or for as long as it lasts. There would be no intention of ever selling it on unless it had major issues.

Thanks for reading. I would welcome any and many suggestions!! :-)

Cheers!!!

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - unthrottled

Well your criteria pretty much matches that of 90% of buyers which makes getting a bargain difficult. I mean who wants a thirsty, unsafe car that keeps breaking down?!

High MPGs points to diesel. But at £4k, you'll be looking at older ones (generally over 5 years). With care, cars can carry on for huge motorway mileages, but buying second hand is always a minefield-especially at your budget.

With regards to safety, ncap ratings are relative. Cars are judged according to class-therefore a supermini with a 5* rating obviously isn't as safe on an absolute basis as a large car with a 5* safety rating. This is because cars are impact tested against a mass of comparable weight. Basically, the ratings are of little use-just asume that, as a driver, the greatest determiner of risk is the nut behind the wheel and don't worry about the car!

At the price band you're buying into, insurance groups are largely a function of horsepower and, to a lesser extent, size. Keep both down and the rating falls.

To give a more specific recommendation you need to indicate what size of car you want ie is it soleluy a commuter mobile or will it have to double up as a family load lugger at weekends?

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - 1litregolfeater

I shall keep checking this thread as two things come to mind:

-modern diesels aren't as reliable as they used to be, and still very costly when they go wrong

-some small petrol cars seem to achieving a diesel like fuel economy without the up-front expense of a diesel and with greater simplicity, and hopefully greater reliability

How about LPG?

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - pd
Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual.
Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - veryoldbear

120 miles per day x 5 days per week = 600 miles per week. Say working 46 weeks per year = 27600 miles per year x 10 years = 276000 miles. The £4K car that will do that hasn't been born.

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm just going to recommend my own car. It's happily done the 20-odd thou I asked it to. Petrol Mazda 6. My mpg is about 38 as a decent estimate but I have been brought up using litres and not this old fashion 'gallons' thing!

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - davmal

modern diesels aren't as reliable as they used to be

Surely modern diesels are as reliable as modern diesels? Older diesels are as reliable as older diesels. Question is, are modern diesels as reliable as old fashioned diesels?

My suggestion, any Hyundai or Kia 2.0 CRD engined vehicle eg Elantra, Carens, Santa Fe, Tuscon etc.

Of course, if image is a problem - good luck

I would have no difficulty in recommending diesels for this sort of duty. You don't see many HGVs sitting on the hard shoulder with hapless drivers peering into the engine compartment, do you?

Modern diesels are more sensitive to the duty cycle than older ones, but the fact remains that if you have problems with your DPF regens-a diesel was a poor choice for your needs.

With a budget of £4k, most of the cars available (PSA ecepted) won't have DPF.

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - jamie745

May i be so bold as to suggest a Jaguar X Type Diesel SE, some bargains going around at the mo.

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - mlj

I doubt whether a jag would give 10 years economical motoring in terms of service and repair.

You could get a 2006 Skoda Roomster with a pre PDF VW 1.9 diesel. NCAP 5 stars for adult occupants. Should be reliable, cheap to insure.

Yes but a Jag is much more exciting and much faster.

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - strokebow

Thanks for suggestions. Much appreciated.

To give a more specific recommendation you need to indicate what size of car you want ie is it soleluy a commuter mobile or will it have to double up as a family load lugger at weekends?

Size of car is not an issue. Anything bigger than a smart car will do!! Don't particularly need extra space. Just a commuter mobile.

So, it seems £4k isn't enough. How about if I were able to squeeze out £7k max. Would there be more availability?

Someone mentioned about LPG? I wouldn't be too keen on this as I'd find it hard to get fuel where I live.

Someone mentioned Hyundai or Kia, which specific models would you recommend?

About Diesel, I've never driven a diesel before. I wan't aware of the issues. Also, I don't care about appearance!

I think the Jag and the Volvo would be too expensive to insure for me!!

Thanks for suggestions. Keep 'em coming!!

Cheeeeers!!

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - richardcroft

Higher budget will get you a better car.

Skoda Octavia TDI, but I believe you should avoid the 2.0. Great economy, comfortable and more reliable than most. It could do 200,000 miles plus, properly maintained. I've an Octavia and its been a brilliant car.

I'll let others suggest more cars.

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - mlj

Neither of which are relevant to the OP's criteria.

The Jag isnt that heavy on insurance in general, why spend 7k on a cheap to insure car when you could spend 4k on an expensive to insure and better car :)

Your budget should get you a fabia 1.9 tdi which should be a very satisfactory commuter car.

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - davmal
I have a Hyundai Elantra diesel as my commuter car, I do 600 miles per working week. 45 to the gallon at 70 ish still, at over 120,000 miles. Engine is one of those common rail units with bosch components, that are supposed to be unmaintainable.
An anonymous and predictable car with plenty of room. Aftermarket parts are easy to get, eg rear discs and pads for less than £50 the lot, wheel bearings ditto. Cam belt every 70,000 miles.
Same basic engine is used throughout the hyundai kia 2.0 diesel range. There is a petrol 2.0 which is less economical and a less powerful 1.6.
Main advantage is the disdain with which they are treated causing prices to be low.
Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - johncyprus

Mazda 6. Just seen this thread and funnily enough have just returned from a 800 mile tour of the Yorkshire Dales and brim to brim have got 43.2 mpg but I do drive very sympathetically these days. Brilliant car lovely to drive.Mine is a 2006 1.8 Sakata which has enough poke and more. Avoid a diesel Mazda 6 though, all sorts of problems apparently with these. I've had mine 18 months now and haven't even had to change a bulb though a new set of tyres beckon. Fully comp I pay £155 with esure but I have age, profession and driving history all in my favour.

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - Avant

If you want a petrol car, go for a Toyota, Honda or Mazda.

If you want diesel, as you may given the potential mileage, as suggested above go for something with the VW Group 1.9 TDI engine. A Skoda (Fabia or Octavia) or a SEAT (Ibiza or Leon) will be cheaper than a VW of similar age.

Suggestions: High MPGs, Cheap to Insure, Safe - brignac

Hyundai Elantra diesel looks a very good bet, - good ones can be had for around £1400. Or a petrol avensis 1.8 - this will do 40mpg on your commute. Don't spend £4k - either buy a three/four year old car for more, or go for a 70K 7-year- old for £1400

B