Fiesta coil spring - Rippied Off? - Adriank

Car :Fiesta Petrol 2003

So we are just getting in the car to head off to the airport for our holiday and i realise the front suspension osnt right. The OS coil spring has gone. I leave the car with local garage and shhot off to the station to try and catch the next train to the airport.

On my return I go to collect the car an am presented with a bil for £177.00 for 1 coil spring and 2hrs lab.

This seems excessive from an independant garage - is there anyone out there who could confirm an approx price for the job?

Fiesta coil spring - Rippied Off? - Ethan Edwards

Don't think you've been 'ripped off' but if it was my car I'd want both fronts replaced together, not just the one.

Fiesta coil spring - Rippied Off? - Bobbin Threadbare

That seems a lot to me; coil springs for Ford Focus' come in at about £25-30 and 2 hours labour should not end you up with a bill for close to £200!

Also Ethan is right; both should be replaced so they wear evenly.

Fiesta coil spring - Rippied Off? - 2.0Tsi
Ripped off, definitely a spring for a 2003 fiesta on eurocarparts website is £28-£35 also it is not 2 hours labour to change one spring. Notwithstanding that I would have changed both as well ring a main Ford dealer and see what the comparable price they would charge.
Fiesta coil spring - Rippied Off? - Bobbin Threadbare

@Adriank

Will you let us know how you get on if you make a complaint or anything?

Fiesta coil spring - Rippied Off? - Ethan Edwards

If they have done both fronts then £177 sounds reasonable to me. The OP didn't say if the £177 was only for the springs, fitting, labour and 20% VAT. Did they charge him for disposal of the old ones?

Main dealer rates are what £75 an hour? Ridiculous I know. Adds up doesn't it.

Fiesta coil spring - Rippied Off? - terrierman

Just had one done-previous one a month ago so good advice to get both done at same time!Costs for 1 at local indie as follows Parts £33, Labour £70 VAT20 TOTAL £123 . The repair was done at my home as the car was undrivable.

Fiesta coil spring - Rippied Off? - Adriank

Ok So an update.

Thanks for the responses guys.

My suspicions of being ripped off were confirmed when i called a local ford dealer and they quoted £125/135 for the same job.

If I had kown more about what the problem was I would have waited before returning from my holiday and got some quotes. - Having said that I am a great believer in supporting local businesses and I am suprised that that have taken the Pi** when they know I am local.

I havent been back to take the issue up with them but am considering it, particularly as the only replaced 1 spring -

I am furious that now i will have to pay to have the other spring replaced (as you have advised) so my total bill will be near £300.

by the way the bill reads as follows:

Coil Sping - £54

Lab - £93.64

VAT - £29.63

TOT £177.17