BMW 1 series 120d - 1 series 120d - mucky coolant - Lor
Hiya,

Have just replaced the turbo on my 1 series 120d, while there the tech found a mucky caramel coloured film on top of the coolant, he advised he has not seen this type of thing before, there was nothing in the oil and the engine isn't over heating so I am desperately hoping that it isn't the head gasket!

I have read on the web that if you mix coolant types this can happen?

Can anyone help?

Thank you

L
BMW 1 series 120d - 1 series 120d - mucky coolant - Bobbin Threadbare

Could well be - you can get pink coolant if you mix two particular brands apparently. How old is your Beamer? You can get a suspension of rust in the coolant too, which makes a scummy brown layer. Check your dipstick and see if the oil looks ok and is at the appropriate level. Head gasket failure usually shows up a funny white scum in the coolant as far as I know. Possibly drain the coolant and fill back up with only one type to see if it happens again.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 14/06/2011 at 12:42

BMW 1 series 120d - 1 series 120d - mucky coolant - Lor

Its a 56 plate. Had the oil changed yesterday & the tech didn't menetion that it and muck in it, have checked it this morning & is still clean and to correct levels.

BMW 1 series 120d - 1 series 120d - mucky coolant - unthrottled

Why did the turbo fail? The turbo is water cooled-if it failed, oil could have mixed with the coolant. Alternatively, your oil cooler might have sprung a leak allowing water and oil to mix.