BMW 318 Touring (2004) - Brake sensor warning light not clearing - rjs

Brake sensor light came on recently as rear pads were worn. Had the pads and sensor replaced but the sensor light would only clear until the car moved away then come back on.

I took it back to the garage (national tyre, exhaust & brake chain, not BMW) and asked them to replace the sensor as I assumed this was faulty. They did this (and checked the front sensor which was fine with loads left on the pads) but the light won't even clear now.

They said they don't have the diagnostics to do any testing so I'm stuck with the light on now.

I'm aware how to clear the light on the dash (by leaving ingnition in pos 2 for 30 seconds).

Any ideas on this? I'm reluctant to put it into BMW due to the cost.

Thanks

BMW 318 Touring (2004) - Brake sensor warning light not clearing - Railroad.

This is not rocket science. Brake pad indicator circuitswork in one of two ways. Either each wire is a loop which when broken (open circuit) brings on the lamp, or each wire is singular and the path to earth is complete when the wire touches the brake disc, hence bringing on the lamp. More likely yours is the former. In this case disconnect each wire in turn at the plug and bridge the terminals. When the lamp goes out you have found the wire which is broken.

Thanks, but given 2 brand new sensors have been put on (one at first, then another to replace it in case it was faulty), I'm thinking it isn't a faulty sensor. I've no reason to think it's the front one as no work has been done there (it was the rear that triggered it in the first place).

BMW 318 Touring (2004) - Brake sensor warning light not clearing - injection doc

normally only genuine BMW sensors and pads works on these cars !

I'm pretty sure BMWs can take non OEM brake pads and sensors.

Not really sure how to proceed with this and I'm not very confident bridging terminals etc. (I don't even know how I'd do that - it may not be rocket science, but if you don't know, you don't know).

Looks like I'm stuck with the light on.

BMW 318 Touring (2004) - Brake sensor warning light not clearing - injection doc

"m pretty sure BMWs can take non OEM brake pads and sensors"

I wouldnt of mentioned it if they worked 100% I can assure you having worked in the industry for many years , that many BMW's warning lights will only respond to genuine pads and wires ! especially CBS models !

you get what you pay for !