Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI LX - ford focus turbo - newbury

Hello

I have brought a ford focus 1.8 tdci lx from a garage but within a month of having the car i noticed a lack of power followed by the engine management light coming on i have taken this back to the garage under warranty and he first tried telling me it is a faulty sensor that is attached to the turbo and as such is an electrical component and i would have to purchase a new turbo as it is part of the unit. After a bit of digging i argued this as i do not believe it is the case i requested the sensor name and he could not provide it. He has now said he found that the turbo pipe was split so has replaced it

My question is if the turbo pipe split will this have damage the turbo at all as i would like to ensure the car is right before the warranty runs out and is there a way of having this checked if it could have caused a problem

Just to add to this on one journey all the power went from the car and it was kicking out a lot of smoke and then all a sudden came back to life

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI LX - ford focus turbo - CharlieNib89

Been there friend.

The original ford elbow joint that feeds the inlet manifold spilts, it's just a matter of time. It takes a decent pressure of air and though the ford part is reinforced, it does split due (in my opinion) to a weakness in their part. When mine went I phoned ford for a quote to replace the tube and was told £100+ so I quickly checked for a cheaper alternative.

I found a company on a certain online auction website that makes the elbow joint in silicone which can take way more than the pressure deilivered and it was about £7 inc p&p, 20 minute job and the elbow was in.

Anyhow, just giving background info in case others have the same problem.

The turbo will be fine, the lack of pressure won't have done any damage, (unless you were raking the car), the initial blow out won't have done damage either as the split starts small and gets bigger meaning it was probably split and you never knew. Sleep soundly chum.

By the by, I would check out the last issue, sounds like the egr or exhaust manifold was plugged up. When you say all the power went, do you mean the car turned right off? Or was it a slump in revs?
Focus' have a problem with their ecu that makes them completely shut off if they drop under 750 revs for some insane reason. Does that sound right?

God bless

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI LX - ford focus turbo - phil87

Hi , I also have problem with lack of power no lights coming on just no go!! interested in reply but showing my ignorance where will I find this shoulder joint you talk about . turbo spins so hope that this is alright also have been told it could be to do with egr? or split pipes . any ideas would be gratefull

Thanks Phil

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI LX - ford focus turbo - smed706

hi phil the pipe you need is at the front right hand side under the EGR valve and goes to a steel pipe at the front bottom of the engine

hope this helps

kind regards Neil

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI LX - ford focus turbo - Mickadoon

Wow, thanks a million guys! I've been getting "Low Turbo Boost Pressuer" (code P0299) along with clouds of black smoke and was starting to have nightmares about the cost of a new turbo. Then I read about the splitting of the rubber pipe, took it off and it had a huge split underneath! My Ford dealer wanted £48 plus VAT so I sourced a silicon one on the "Well-known Auction site" for just over £30 with free delivery. Mike.