Ford Focus - 1999 ford Focus 1.6 Manual, advice please - macatac

Hi, i own a 1999 ford focus lx 1.6 manual petrol car, ive noticed lately that my car must be burning oil, there's no leaks, under the bonnet is fine and clean. I ticked the engine over earlier tonight, and i noticed little black specks coming out of the exhaust, landing 2 - 3 feet away on to the road, also some smoke and some water on the end of the exhaust pipe. The engine ticks over quietly, and there is no knocks, unusual noises. I did have a problem with the exhaust a while ago, there was a bit of a blockage, but after having rods put through this seemed to have fixed that particular problem. Any idea what it might now be, causing the car to burn oil? Im putting in some engine flush tomorrow, and doing a oil filter change. Any advice please?

Ford Focus - 1999 ford Focus 1.6 Manual, advice please - unthrottled

Is the engine using oil?

When you idle the engine, the water in the exhaust gas will often start to condense in the pipe where it will dissolve soot which is then blown out of the end of the tail pipe. You might be worrying about nothing!

I did have a problem with the exhaust a while ago, there was a bit of a blockage, but after having rods put through this seemed to have fixed that particular problem.

Erm? Exhaust pipes don't become blocked! If the baffles in the silencer collapsed you need a new silencer, not dynorod.

Edited by unthrottled on 08/06/2011 at 21:07

Ford Focus - 1999 ford Focus 1.6 Manual, advice please - macatac

Silencer is fine, i am having to put in approx 4 litres of oil every 4-5 wks. The car has done 52000 miles

Ford Focus - 1999 ford Focus 1.6 Manual, advice please - Bobbin Threadbare

Do you rev the engine hard when it's still cold? Your oil control rings could be on their way out if it's drinking that much oil and showing no smoke/leaks and you can still run it ok.

Ford Focus - 1999 ford Focus 1.6 Manual, advice please - unthrottled

If it's the piston rings then the engine is toast. Those zetecs can't be rebuilt. If it's the valve seals the it might (just) be worrthwhile repairing. Buy a compression tester and run a dry/wet compression test to see if the internals are healthy.

Ford Focus - 1999 ford Focus 1.6 Manual, advice please - rightcar

Have you checked the head Gasket??

Take the oil filler cap off and check it for a creamy substance and check the expansion tank for the same.

I am sure you have hecked but, 4 liters of oil is going somewhere and if you havn't got plumes of black smoke or a pool of oil under the car then my only thoughts are that it's still there..probably in the coolant.