Any - Used Cars and Warranty Period. - 12345oncei

Still being in the market for a used car I have probably been spending an inordinate amount of time on this site and it is proving to be a mine of useful information and lively discussion.

I was interested to read this:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=52855

Not one dealer I have visited seem to adhere to this. Most (including Main franchised dealers) offer 3 months. Today I came across one who insisted that his 1 month warranty on a 3k purchase was a great deal.

I have a budget of 5k, but I am not a gambling man. Am I just to accept the standard 3 month garb and rely on SOGA if/when things go wrong?

Any - Used Cars and Warranty Period. - bonzo dog

Hi, if this is what you are referring to, from the link:-

This effectively states that used car dealer are legally obliged to provide a six month warranty

Of course "effectively states" means that it doesn't actually state & thus is completely meaningless.

One of the problems when discussing such topics is that people make up their own mind as to what words & sentances mean.

SOGA does not (as far as I can see) state either the duration or content of any warranty. I know of one dealer who has an excellent local reputation & who is Trading Standards Approved yet who only gives a 30 day warranty

If you want as much peace of mind as possible in buying a used car then most franchised dealerships will sell cars through their manufacturer Approved schemes, will be well prep'd & include a 12 month warranty. Of course you will get a newer car from the used car trade but without the comfort factor.

Whichever you choose, good luck

What are you after, by the way?

Edited by bonzo dog on 01/06/2011 at 16:10

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that SOGA sets nothing in stone. I suppose I am finding it difficult parting with my cash when at the outset the dealers do not inspire confidence that they will give a damn if something were to go wrong.

I am looking for anything that fits the bill - Commuting 40-50 miles a day during the week and leisure travel at the weekend (plus 350 - 400 mile journey once a month). Can't be a shoebox as we have a small child, but don't really want a transit.

Have been considering mainly 5dr diesels:

Polo,Fabia, Ibiza, Golf, Focus

Passat, Bora, Octavia,Leon, Toldeo, Altea

Yaris, Almera, Fiesta

Trouble we are having is within a 30-40 mile radius of us there appears to be very little that fits the bill. When there is there is either sketchy or no service history or in the rare circumstances where there has been service history there have been other factors that have put us off or the car has gone before we get there!

Any - Used Cars and Warranty Period. - bonzo dog

Hi again,

Kia Ceed is the one. Not many dervs around I'm afraid but with your mileage I would go for petrol anyway.

2nd choice Toyota Auris, followed by Honda Jazz then Focus.

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions.

At the present time at 5k or under within 40 miles* on Autotrader and Motors (this includes Trade and Private:

Toyota Auris: 0

Honda Jazz 1.4: 1 (2002/02)

Kia C'eed: 0

Foci: loads (will trawl and filter)

* 40 miles on autotrader is more like 60!