Ford Focus 2000 TDDI - Ford Focus starting problems - Flippy

The problem started intermittently, I would turn the ignition key and all the lights would be OK, turned key to start the car and "nothing" , removed the key and tried again and everything was OK. After a period of time the same happened but this time nothing I did would get the car started, ignition lights OK, just wouldn't start, however, this time I would hear a click, possibly from the starter motor area. Waiting a few minutes then I would try it again and the car would start OK and would work for a couple of weeks or so.

Finally a couple of days ago, I drove the car to the shops, returned to it after 5 mins and although the ignition lights came on, as soon as I tried to start the engine "nothing" not even a click, but the ingnition lights dimmed showing something was drawing current. everything else works OK, windows, radio, blower etc..

So a trip on a breakdown truck to a local garage, where it is at present. The truck driver decided to "bump start" the car and it burst into life as if nothing was wrong!. All the garage mechanic has done at present is test the battery that's OK, the immobiliser light appears to be functioning as it always has. Anyone have any ideas cos I think the mechanic hasn't.

Ford Focus 2000 TDDI - Ford Focus starting problems - unthrottled

A worn starter motor can often refuse to turn over. The fact that it bumped easily enough and the battery is fine would suggest the starter. Ford starter motors of that vintage do tend to have a habit of doing this.

Thanks for the info about the starter motor, I will pass this on to the mechanic.

Flippy

Ford Focus 2000 TDDI - Ford Focus starting problems - bathtub tom

Possibly an earthing fault?

Ford Focus 2000 TDDI - Ford Focus starting problems - Avant

Could be any of the above or also possible dirty battery terminals.

Moved to Technical.

Thanks for the help, it turned out to be a faulty Starter Motor, it was removed and repaired, the total cost was 88.00€