VW T5 Transporter - VW T5 Transporter and speeds - Farmer Piles

Trying to avoid getting speeding fines with my recently purchased van. I have recently bought a VW T5 Transporter to use as a dayvan/campervan, it is carpeted thoughout, has a rudimentary bed, side windows and I am about to have rear windows fitted to the back doors. It is registered as a light goods vehicle on the V5, weighs in at 1960kg unladen and has a 1000kg load carrying rating.

I understand that it means that I have reduced speed limits on unrestricted single carriage roads - 50mph rather than 60 - but am good for 70 on dual carriageways and motorways. Is that right? Also, any idea of where I stand when driving in Europe. Is there any advantage in getting it reclassed as a campervan, or can I have reclassed as something private that would allow me to run at normal speed limits. Ironic that someone can have a Bently or a big 4x4 that weighs more than a fully loaded T5 and not have any speed restrictions.

Any advice appreciated.

VW T5 Transporter - VW T5 Transporter and speeds - LucyBC

There is sometimes an insurance advantage especially if it is ever involved in a collision as the status of the van will fit the V5. An insurer will pay the worth of a bare Transporter if involved in a collision and a change has not been made on the V5. That may not be a particular problem for you as this seems to be a fairly rudimentary conversion but it may well be if the van has had a major rebuild.

The other advantage of changing is the speed limit as you will be able to do 60mph legally on national roads.

To make the change you will normally need to provide photographs of the completed conversion including internal and external shots. You also need to provide details of the work carried out including receipts if available.DVLA will usually wish to inspect the vehicle at their local office.

The greater the changes the more likely the change is likely to be agreed. If all you are doing is cutting some windows in the side and putting a mattress in the back they are likely to refuse you.

VW T5 Transporter - VW T5 Transporter and speeds - Farmer Piles

Thanks Lucy, in the short term I will watch my speed, longer term I will talk to the local DVLA office once the work has been completed and ask about getting the vehicle status changed.

VW T5 Transporter - VW T5 Transporter and speeds - farnz

You will want to recheck Highway code rule 124 (see www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...4 ) while you're driving it as a light goods vehicle. While your limit on motorways is 70, same as a car, your limit on dual carriageways is only 60.

Given how enthusiastic the authorities are about clamping down on speeding, no matter how minor, it's worth making sure they have no chance of catching you out.