VW Golf - VW 2.0TDI Pump Duse engine - to buy or not to buy? - cws

Looking to replace our Mk5 Golf 1.9TDI with a Mk5 2.0TDI, and I've read about various issues with the 2.0TDI engine, but am a bit confused....... Specifically I've read plenty about injector problems and the engine stalling then failing to re-start.

Does this problem effect the 2.0TDI with the older PD system or is it with the new Common Rail engine (in which case I've nothing to worry about as the Common Rail engine only came out with the Mk6)?

I know about injector loom issues on all the VW diesels, but trying to ascertain if there's an issue with the PD injectors used on the 2.0TDI PD?

VW Golf - VW 2.0TDI Pump Duse engine - to buy or not to buy? - 659FBE

Much has been written - a search may reveal.

In my experience, the Bosch PD injectors (solenoid operated) are reliable and the Siemens (piezo) injectors are not.

The 1.9 engines all had Bosch injectors. Find out for sure which you are buying.

VW Golf - VW 2.0TDI Pump Duse engine - to buy or not to buy? - cws
I was under the impression that the piezo injectors were only used with Common Rail (as they can 'fire' 7 times per cylinder cycle, as opposed to PD which can only 'fire' 2 times)......but I may be wrong?
VW Golf - VW 2.0TDI Pump Duse engine - to buy or not to buy? - 659FBE

No, the bean counter division moved in at VAG - Bosch injectors were too expensive and VAG/Siemens thought they could do better. The lever system required to achieve the servo needle travel with a short piezo stack is mind boggling. The failure mode is usually insulation breakdown, which shuts the whole lot down - splendid in the fast lane.

Have a look here:

www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_352.pdf