Jaguar XF - Road sign hit my car - who do I claim against - csgmart

I was travelling northbound on the M42 this morning in the outside lane and as I was approaching junction 10 a 50 mile an hour speed limit sign was blown off it's stand and came towards me. At first I thought the sign was going to come through my windscreen but luckily it 'only' hit the side of my car causing minor damage to the driver and rear passenger door. The 50 speed sign was being used for southbound traffic and was on a metal frame. It is atemporary type of sign used in roadworks. I have notified my insurance co. and they have put their legal assistance people in touch with me (although I have not spoken to them yet). Who do I claim against?

Jaguar XF - Road sign hit my car - who do I claim against - Dwight Van Driver

Normally one would make a claim against the Local Authority but this is a Motorway and as such the responsibuility of Department of Transport. I would presume that if you make a claim against the LA they may forward to D of Transport? Insurance Co may well sort it out.

dvd

Jaguar XF - Road sign hit my car - who do I claim against - LucyBC

The claim is normally against the DoT / Highways Agency for a motorway sign who then seek to recover from the at-fault contractor.

The best way to deal with this is to make the claim directly against the at-fault third party rather than involve your own insurer as that way you do not risk your policy excess and no claims.

However dealing with the at-fault thrid party is not for the faint hearted in any event and this is especially true when it is a statutory body.

My accident team may well be able to deal with them on your behalf.

Where are you in the claim? Is the car off the road? Has the car been assessed for damage?

Please email me at asklucy@honestjohn.co.uk

Thank you. Email sent.

Jaguar XF - Road sign hit my car - who do I claim against - Cris_on_the_gas

If you are trying to claim off the highways authority then you have to prove that they were negligent. Was it not a very windy/ gale force winds then so it would be difficult to prove in such exceptional circumstances that they were negligent. If it was very windy then the highway code suggests driving with more caution, so this may be against you.

good luck with the email

The signs have to be weighted and secured to meet the weather conditions. In any event the back draughts from traffic are substantial.

Jaguar XF - Road sign hit my car - who do I claim against - Cris_on_the_gas

yeah, but wouldn't ya need some colloboration like a indy witness that it was not fixed to its stand properly, could have been tied on properly then knocked by another vehicle.

If the sign is blowing into the road and hits a car it is not weighted properly. Weighting should be sufficient to cover all expected conditions in the UK and that includes gale force winds. It might be different if there was a Louisiana tornado but nothing the UK experienced last week was unexpected.

If the sign is blowing into the road and hits a car it is not weighted properly. Weighting should be sufficient to cover all expected conditions in the UK and that includes gale force winds. It might be different if there was a Louisiana tornado but nothing the UK experienced last week was unexpected

It WAS windy but the car was not being battered by gusts of winds and otherwise driving conditions were normal - e.g. no rain light conditions were fair etc.

I do have a witness - my business colleague was sitting in the passenger seat and clearly saw the accident happen. I know he is unlikely to be considered unbiased but I guess it may help my cause? Lucy - can you please ask your colleague to contact me to discuss how you might be able to assist in this case. Thank you.

Jaguar XF - Road sign hit my car - who do I claim against - 1litregolfeater

An act of God? A beneficient being, hired out that day in the humans quality of life / aesthetics dept?