Ford Mondeo II - Steering wheel electric power - tom1066

I've another thread in General Discussions but this is the correct place for the thread.

I had a new Steering Rack fitted and now have no electric power to the steering wheel. No air bag (warning light is flashing), no cruise control and no horn. It was like this driving it out of the garage. It didn't happen afterwards.

The mechanic didn't remove the steering wheel as part of the job.

The garage flat refuse to accept it could have been caused by them. They say it's probably a Clock Spring that's coincidentally gone.

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this damage? Or how I can now fix it?

How should I deal with this garage now? Just take it on the chin?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Ford Mondeo II - Steering wheel electric power - elekie&a/c doctor

The garage is probably correct in their diagnosis of the clock spring"gone",but i would think it has been damaged when the steering rack was fitted.The clock spring is a plastic ribbon cable that sits behind the steering wheel and transmits all the electrics to the wheel including the airbag .The garage has made the basic mistake of not locking up the steering wheel while the rack is disconnected.This allows the steering column and wheel to rotate beyond its limit and break the cable.There are about 3 turns from the central position for the cable to be working within its limit.Take the car back and get them to fix it Foc.Fortunately the part is not very expensive.hth