Ford S-Max - Trade-in value depreciation waiting for new car - Phil P
Hi all,

Some advice would be appreciated - currently considering ordering my first new car and have been given a trade-in valuation on my current car, however the dealer says this valuation will decrease 2% each month until delivery of the new car (which he estimates will be 3-4 months).

Is this reasonable and normal practice?
Ford S-Max - Trade-in value depreciation waiting for new car - happy polo

Unless you're looking at something with sufficient demand to mean the dealer isn't fussed as to whether you buy it or not, I'd suggest you negotiate a little and tell him you want the trade-in price underwritten. If there is suddenly an 'unexpected' delay in the new car arriving, your trade-in will continue to reduce unless you make it clear you're not willing to buy on those terms.

Ford S-Max - Trade-in value depreciation waiting for new car - Craigdm

I currently have two new cars on order, both with p/x. Neither of them are subject to this restriction, I'd walk away and find a decent dealer.

53 Punto is underwritten for £1100 and I have the right to sell it privately for more if I want.

2010 IX35 is underwritten for £16,500 as long as I don't put more than '5 or 6K' on it before the Juke arrives in about 6 weeks.

Ford S-Max - Trade-in value depreciation waiting for new car - pd

Hmm...yes, but you still have use of the car. If you expect them to hold the price then I suppose it is only fair you agree not to add any more miles or wear and tear for it.

For all the dealer knows you could add 15000 miles to it.

Ford S-Max - Trade-in value depreciation waiting for new car - Falkirk Bairn

Try another few Ford Dealers - they may have one in stock - you never know it could even have a lower price as it is in stock and costing the garage interest charges on the value.

Ford S-Max - Trade-in value depreciation waiting for new car - Phil P
Thanks for the advice guys. I've gone back to the dealer and told him I want a fixed price, which he is going to obtain and come back to me with (although he stated that he thinks I may do better with the non-fixed reducing price).

I'm a little restricted since the new car is coming via the Motability scheme.