Peugeot 306 TD Meridian - S Oct 98 - Garry
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a noise that has started to appear on my above car, only when conditions are wet.

The car has done 81,000 miles but has been regularly serviced (as per service log and by a Peugeot dealer). The timing belt was changed in August.

When I stop and turn the key to switch off, the engine cuts but a 'ratchett' type noise sounds (as if something is 'running on').

I had a new alternator put on the car (about a year ago), as the other one gave up the ghost, but don't know if would be anything in that area.

Being a bit light.....okay very light.....on knowledge of car problems, can any of you advise what you think it could be?

Many thanks
Peugeot 306 TD Meridian - S Oct 98 - Jon Cunningham-Smith
Garry,

Just stumbled on this.

Re-post it in Technical Matters.

The mechanics out there are more likely to see this there and will get a quicker response.

Cheers - Jon S
Peugeot 306 TD Meridian - S Oct 98 - IanT
You need to find out if the noises are due to the engine running on, or something else. Get someone to switch off for you while you've got your head under the bonnet.

Engine running on can be caused by a faulty "stop solenoid" on the fuel injection pump, which might allow the engine to struggle on for a couple of beats before it gives in. If the stop solenoid fails completely (stuck open), it can allow the engine to run on indefinitely, so the Lucas injection pump has a special lever (marked "Stop") to allow you to force the engine to stop in these circumstances. There may be a similar lever on Bosch injection pumps.

If the engine isn't running on, it might just be that something is loose and rattles when the engine turns off. Head under the bonnet is still the answer.

Either way, it's unlikely to be anything to do with the alternator or timing belts.

Ian
Ian, thanks for the advice, i'll give it a look over the weekend. Hopefully the weather will be wet enough (didn't think I would ever say that!!!!!)
Thanks Jon, i'll bear that in in mind in the future.
Peugeot 306 TD Meridian - S Oct 98 - IanT
Loose or badly positioned exhaust pipe mountings can allow the exhaust pipe to hit the bodywork a couple of times while the engine vibrates to a stop. This "knock knock" or "bang bang" could possibly be described as sounding like a ratchet.

Ian