Nissan Micra 2003 - Possible Exhaust problems? - itsmeself

Hi,

I was recently in my girlfriends Nissan micra and noticed a whirring/rumbling noise coming i think from the rear of the car. It seems to become noticeable at above 30mph and from what i could tell, the pitch of the sound increased with speed until it wasn't that noticeable over general cabin noise at about 70mph. I know next to nothing about cars but my first thought was that maybe it was a problem in the exhaust system. However the noise persists if while driving i asked her to take the car out of gear and free wheel for a while. If it where linked to the exhaust system wouldn't i expect it to go away once the accelerator is depressed?

Like i say i know very little about cars and would love to have some idea what might be the issue before i bring it to a garage, so any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Nissan Micra 2003 - Possible Exhaust problems? - SlidingPillar

Those symptoms suggest a rear wheel bearing.

No idea how the Micra is put together but on some cars, a non-driven wheel bearing is very easy to change.

Ok thanks that sounds like a sensible suggestion, any simple ways of testing this out or should i just take it to a garage?

Nissan Micra 2003 - Possible Exhaust problems? - oldroverboy

How worn are your rear tyres, tyres are a lot noisier when worn, wheel bearing is also a possibility chech rear brakes to make sure ok, very easy to check on a micra, most national chains will do a brake check free. you will be pleasantly surprised at how competitive they can be. If you have an oil change at national tyres, (book online) they will do a big safety check free of charge, and a tracking check free, but you would have to pay for adjustment. I don't work for them, but have all my cars/tyres/oil changes done outside of main dealer servicing,

Looks like it was a wheel bearing problem, thanks again for the heads up.