Any - When getting a service done.. - hoyak

are they likely to look at another part of the car at my request for free? Nothing too indepth just a look to try and get an idea of what the problem is. The way I see it is if I am spending over a 100 quid there they shouldn't have a problem but I am an inexperienced driver and have no experiences of garages!

Also, what is the best way to ask?

Thanks

Edit: On hind sight perhaps this should be in the other forum.. apologies.

Edited by hoyak on 21/04/2011 at 12:10

Any - When getting a service done.. - RT

Visual inspection should always be free in my book - how else can a garage give an estimate or quote for the cost of rectifying the fault?

Many dealers, particularly franchised dealers, will charge for diagnostic work even for warranty items.

Any - When getting a service done.. - Vitesse6

I would advise doing a bit of homework, my mother in law bought herself the ladybird book of the car when she started driving just so she would know what the various bits and pieces were called and what they all did.

Then once you know a little bit, feign ignorance and just ask nicely if they can "have a look at X when it is in as you are worried about it" They ought to be able to tell you if something is developing into a problem and give an estimate for repair. If it becomes obvious that they are giving you a load of bull***t then find another garage.

Any - When getting a service done.. - 1litregolfeater

^^ that

Try not to go to a garage, they rip you off. If you really have to, make friends with somewhere small and local that appreciates your business, never ever go to a main dealership unless it's a major job and you have a written quote.

Any - When getting a service done.. - sb10

A service always used to be a visual inspection as you go through each part of the service,and as long as they are honest about possible problems tell the customer and report on service sheet,its then up to the customer as to whether they want the job done

I would think most still work that way??