VW Bora - VW Bora/ Golf rear axle bushes - which way up? - Matt@

I've just got one of the old knackered bushes out of the housing and before I put the new one in, can someone confirm which way up the bushes go in? ie on the bush theres a rubber tab that according to the manual and bush manufacturer looks as if it lines up to the base of the swinging arm joint but I need to know 100%. ie does the bush go in with rubber tab to the bottom of the bush????

Was quite dreading this job as had read alot about struggling with it so to help others heres what I did and I am a diy mechanic nothing more lol

1. jack car onto a stand
2. unbolt brake pipe bracket at top to give more give in pipe
3. remove axle bush bracket from floor
4. remove axle bush bolt
5. support axle with blocks of wood to stop brake pipe straining
6. drilled out axle bush rubber with 8mm drill
7. knocked old rubber away from and through its housing and out the other side
8. hacksawed 8mm into metal bush sleeve from outer end
9 hacked off bush sleeve with cold chisel and the whole thing fell out

need to rig up soemthing to press in new bush

Time taken to remove one old bush with axle on car was 1 hour so pretty good really and all done from outside the car not beneath.

hope the above gives someone some encouragment for what is described as a pig of a job!

anyways, can someone confirm the bush tab location - top or bottom? ta

VW Bora - VW Bora/ Golf rear axle bushes - which way up? - ArthurR

I have the workshop manual and it shows the new bush with a dimple on the part the bolt goes through. This dimple should line up with the weld on the joint on the bottom where the swing arm joins with the bush housing. If you can go into your library tomorrow, maybe they will have a haynes manual on he shelf or maybe just google it. The manual suggests you use a long bolt and suitable washers and sleeves to pull the bush through. It also says the bush must be correctly fitted as you know. What were the symptoms which made you need to the replace the bushes?