Avensis 2002 2.0 vvti-auto - Which Automatic transmission Fluid - Surrey_Scientist

Can anyone advise me which automatic transmision fluid I should use for a drain/refill in my avensis 2002 2.0 VVTi

It is the last of the "old-shape" models (facelift version of the MkI)

There seem to be so many fluids on sale many of which claim to meet a startling ange of specs and some of which are v. expensive

Some charts have suggested I need Dexron III some Toyota T-III ( is that rebranded Dexron III ?) ands some Toyota T-IV.

There arre some aftermarket fluids which claim to meet one of those specs, and some which claim to meet all of them (is that possible ??)

Car has done 125,000 miles and fluid is very brown and dirty looking on the dipstick.

Avensis 2002 2.0 vvti-auto - Which Automatic transmission Fluid - RT

It probably uses an Aisin automatic transmission, since Aisin is a subsidiary of Toyota.

Dexron is a specification, not a brand. Dexron 3 licences expired at the end of 2006 and haven't been renewed. Dexron 6 aka Dexron VI is the current specification. All Dexron specifications are backwards compatible for older cars so just get some Dexron 6.

It certainly needs changing from your description.