Citroen Xsara Picasso - Turbo failure - curlycat

I've got a citroen picasso 1.6 HDi and on a drive I lost power and an engine light came on. Turns out the impellor on the turbo broke. I also had failure of an injector and carbon build up. Replaced them both and the pipes and flushed out the oil twice. Engine light has gone off but white smoke is blowing from the exhaust. Citroen garage now say I need a new turbo as this one looks broken and is rattling (after only 4 miles and I did prime it with oil) and the exhaust is full of oil so I need a new one. What would cause this turbo to break so quickly? And do I really need a new exhaust.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Turbo failure - Peter.N.

I would think this could only be due to lack of oil, disconnect the pipe and turn the engine over and see if it comes out at pressure, if so I would suspect the turbo was faulty.

Edited by Peter.N. on 12/04/2011 at 19:45

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Turbo failure - dieselnut

Not an unknown problem with this engine. Seems to be prone to sludging up its oilways if the servicing has not been 100% or perhaps been used on a lot of short journeys.

Here is another recent thread http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=90548

also others can be found as it is a popular engine used by various different manufacturers.

The oil will eventually burn out of the exhaust although it will take a few long runs.

Edited by dieselnut on 12/04/2011 at 21:47