Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera 'woo woo' whistling noise - dirigible

My Nissan Almera (52 plate, n16 engine), has developed a noise, sort of like a whistly, woo-woo noise, sounds like it is coming from the front of the car, not sure where, as I can only hear it while driving.

It happens when I am going approx 20-40 mph.

It doesn't matter what gear I am in, and the noise keeps going even if I put the clutch down and coast for a bit, so I'm assuming it is not the gearbox?

If I even slightly touch the foot brakes it stops. If I turn the wheel slightly to one side, it sometimes stops also.

If I put the hand brake on slightly, it keeps going, so I'm guessing it is somewhere at the front of the car. It's going to go in to a decent local garage to be looked at, but any ideas what I should be asking the garage to check.

It had an MOT a couple of weeks back, so in theory, it shouldn't be the brake pads being low, although the people doing the MOT are a bit dodgy, so I can't rule it out (had to get it done through them for various reasons unfortunately). Wheel bearings? Axle bearings? Brakes dragging? Something more nasty somewhere in the front end?

Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera 'woo woo' whistling noise - bathtub tom

Sorry, I can't suggest what on earth it might be, but let us know if you find out please. I'm intrigued.

Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera 'woo woo' whistling noise - ddr

Maybe some plastic panelling is loose and vibrating in the breeze?

Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera 'woo woo' whistling noise - Peter.N.

The change of noise on cornering would suggest a wheel bearing but braking doesn't usually shut it up but its possible. If its a bearing the noise generally increases when you but a load on it i.e. the left side when cornering right.