Peugeot 206 1.4 - Screech / howl / whistle - Philhull

Hey people, The subject is based on what I and old posts seem to describe the noise as but all the posts seem old and unanswered so i've brought it up not only because my car is doing it but to try solve it too.

Anyway, my screeching seems to kick in at around 60 (but not always) and once it has done it, it may happen at as low as 33 (so far). It makes motorway driving hell as its a horrible noise and makes me paranoid lol. I've taken it to my usual garage, but typically it didn't make the noise for him and he hit 70.

One answer mentioned the cambelt pulleys, I had the cambelt replaced when i bought the car as I heard a noise which didnt seem right. I doubt the whole thing was replaced though so it may be that.

Another thing which may be linked as someone mentioned before when the engine initially starts it lacks power, with the rev count increasing and decreasing even if my foot is on the clutch. This only lasts a short time and often results in a stall. I wouldn't have mentioned this (thought it was just my driving) but i noticed someone else had mentioned it.

Thanks, and hope we can solve the issue.

Edited by Philhull on 08/04/2011 at 20:02

Peugeot 206 1.4 - Screech / howl / whistle - Cymrogwyllt

Fan belt/Alternator drive belt?

Peugeot 206 1.4 - Screech / howl / whistle - Philhull

Fan belt/Alternator drive belt?

expand?...

My dad had a quick ride in it today and doesn't think it sounds like a belt, more like wind tunneling through. This was my original thoughts but other opinions swayed me.

Could it be something to do with them 2 grill things on the top of the bonnet, do they come in different shapes or all the same, as i'd assume if it was that someone would have said by now.

Also could it be my front grill as when i poke my finger through, there is a panel behind it that seems to be loose. is it meant to be or should it be solid on?

It doesn't affect performance of the car in any way but it is quite irritating and i have a long drive coming up so want to sort it. Any advice appreciated, cheers.

Peugeot 206 1.4 - Screech / howl / whistle - mogggy

did you ever figure this out?? my daughter has the same screeching noise at over 50mph on her 206; 1.9 diesel - and she's at the point of insanity with mechanics who keep telling her they can't find a problem.

four mechanics in three garages have looked at it, and it's been in the garage for two days now and we've been told again that they can't find anything wrong. we've told them to keep the car until they find something, and have mentioned some of the things that we've found on the web from this and other websites - it is obviously a problem that you, and a number of other people have described in detail and it sounds like the same problem.

she's already had the brakes, alternator, water pump, wheel bearings, cam belt, and drive shaft looked at, they've taken all the plastic off the front for wind noise and we've phoned two dealers who say they've never heard of this noise problem.

would be so-oo grateful for any feedback you might have. cheers.

Edited by mogggy on 17/08/2011 at 08:42