Ford Fiesta - Can't get into the car - Lucretia

Hi,

The driver's door handle decided to die yesterday so have been opening it from the passenger side to get in. I decided to remove the door trim to have a look at the lock to see if it was easy to sort, after half an hour of trying to work out how to the get the trim off, i managed to remove the inside door handle thingy (unplugging the power from the speaker), the metal covering the wing mirror, window winder, still couldn't get the trim off, unclipped it but it wouldn't come out of the top. Lifted up the trim and saw that there is a plastic sheet covering the door so gave it up.

Put the door back together although the trim wouldn't quite click back into place properly near the speaker at the bottom of the door, but it kind of went back in.

Went to get back into the car, door wouldn't open, passenger side wouldn't open. Locks are functioning via the fob, key opens the passenger side but only while the door is unlocking itself. Once the door is open, I can't open the driver's side from inside and the central locking just cycles until the door is closed.

Can unplugging the speaker cause this problem?

It's a 1999 MkIV Fiesta.

Thanks,

Ford Fiesta - Can't get into the car - Robin the Technician

Hi,

Sounds like you were almost there!!! When you get the trim off the plastic sheet is only there to prevent rainwater getting onto the inner part of the door trim and damaging it. If you carefully peel the plastic back you will then have access to the lock. From what you say it sounds like the linkage from the handle to the door latch has come adrift. You should be able to see it operating when you pull the handle up. I assume you've tried to unlock the car using just the key? If that's failed then it'll be the linkage.

Hope this helps.

Robin the Technician

Ford Fiesta - Can't get into the car - Lucretia

Yeah, pulled the fuse for the central locking to be able to get into the car without the locks cycling. Still can't open the driver's door. Got a local mechanic to have a look, they're gonna have to remove the panel with the door closed, I couldn't get the thing off open.

Luke.