Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1 what engine code for PD130 - oldtoffee

I'm contemplating buying a Superb Mk 1 - 130 PD manual as recommended here and everywhere else as the best engine/gearbox combination. I know anything PD from MY 2004 will be good but there aren't many 2004's around but quite a few 2005s. I guess the answer might be flipping obvious ie not the best injectors hence the numbers for sale? Can someone kindly advise if a 2005 model will have these injectors? What will be the right engine codes to ensure I only consider lumps with the Bosch solenoid injectors? I have AWX as one to look for. Are there any others? Thanks very much.

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1 what engine code for PD130 - craig-pd130

AWX is the PD130 motor with a slightly lower peak torque (210lb-ft @ 1750rpm), usually with a 5-speed manual box.

The Passat B5.5 was also available with the AVF, same motor but a different ECU map giving 130bhp and 228lb-ft @ 1900rpm, only came with a 6-speed box. I think (but I'm not certain) this made it into the Superb.

659BFE of this parish is knowledgable on these matters, and has mentioned the 6-speed box is fragile and prone to failure. I personally had a Passat with AVF and 6-speed box for 63,000 miles and 5 years without problems, from new. This combination goes very well indeed.

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1 what engine code for PD130 - 659FBE

The only 130 PD engine fitted to the manual Superb was the 1.9 litre AWX and this is the one to have. All AWX engines will have Bosch solenoid actuated unit injectors. These engines were also mated to the 5 speed manual transmission which, in my view is a better long term proposition than the 6 speed unit. The top gear ratios are almost the same.

Do not, under any circumstances whatever, buy a Superb with a 2.0 PD engine. These suffer oil pump drive failure and VAG dumped these engines on Skoda customers to minimise corporate damage. The higher output 2 litre units were 140 BHP.

If you buy a Superb, folding rear seats, fitted model year '05>, considerably improve its utility (although they don't fold properly, at least you can carry long objects) but you must research and fix (properly) the rain water ingress problem. It takes a couple of hours of easy DIY to do and costs peanuts - a strip of mastic and the removal of drain bungs.

My Superb is model year '05 (10th digit in VIN) and has the AWX + folding seats. There is a narrow window of time in which this combination was available. Cruise is an easy and desirable retrofit if liked - it makes the car an excellent motorway cruiser and works very well. The higher spec models had it as standard but are not worth the extra cost for most users as the base model is well equipped.

Edited by 659FBE on 04/04/2011 at 23:26

@659 - so the AVF wasn't used in the Superb?

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1 what engine code for PD130 - Peter D

My son runs one of these on an 06 plate and AWX TDI PD engine as a private hire car and has clocked up 249,000, Couple of CV boots, wheel bearings and regular services and she still sounds sweet. Regards Peter

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb 1 what engine code for PD130 - 659FBE

(Answer to AVF question)

Possibly, with auto transmission.

The old slush pump (pre-DSG) transmissions gave such heavy losses with the torque of the PD diesel engines they had to tweak the max torque (AWX -> AVF) to save them from some highly embarassing 0 - 62 figures.

As a torque converter auto coupled to a decent diesel engine is completely off my radar, I didn't check it.

OK, I've just dug out the old Superb sales brochure - Manual 130 gives 285 Nm at 1900 rpm. Auto gives 310 Nm at 1900 rpm.

So the auto got the AVF by the looks of it. The auto is still 1.3 seconds slower to 62 mph though - what a waste of energy.

Edited by 659FBE on 05/04/2011 at 20:07

thanks, 659 -- interesting. The 18ft-lb difference between the AVF and AWX would probably falls within the production variances from engine to engine, anyway.

The 1.9 PDs always seem to rate a good 5 - 10% higher than factory specification when dyno'd.