Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Rhaglaw

Hello All,

We have a 2009 Berlingo that has worn out it's back tyres in much the same mileage as the front - 20K miles, showing slightly uneven wear across the tyre width (similar pattern NS and OS tyres).

This seems excessive to me - on previous FWD care we've always had the back tyres last around twice as long as the front.

To cut a long story (and ongoing dialogue with Citroen) short - has anyone else got any experience of this, or the 'adjustments' that Citroen suggest might be possible and their outcome?

I am getting the impression that tyre life of many modern cars is rather less than on older models, am I being unrealistic in expecting nearer 40K miles from the rear tyres? - what would a reasonable expectation be of rear tyre life on a steadily driven and generally lightly laden new model Berlingo?

Many thanks, Graham

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - engineMtech

i got 19,000 miles out of the tyres on the back of my multispace, must be just modern tyres i guess.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Big John
Was researching the latest Berlingo for myself until I stumbled across a rash of bad rear tyre wear comments. With my mileage I wont be buying one.

E.g. www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/newreviews/231999...l
Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - sarobowe

Possible torsion beam fault. measure the gap between the top inner edge of the tyre and the wheel arch by way of seeing how many fingers you can fit, if one side is different to the other ( noticable difference not a couple of mil ) then sounds like torsion beam bearings are worn resulting in the rear wheel sitting at an angle.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Multispace pete

I have a Multispace 2009 and whilst my tyres are general good at 22000 Miles I have one rear tyre that hass developed a feathering on one side only. Your comment about checking the distance has rang a bell with me because earlier before the tyre wear was noticed I did comment to my wife a similar occurance, ie, different distances between one tyre to the other on the rear. It was noticed at about 14000 and seeing how I didnt get the same thing again I forgot about it. Is it possible that there is movement in the system where the different distance can go back to equal?

I currently have the car in for fixing the rear wheel problem but this morning was told that Citreon may not accept the repair as a warrenty item! Car is still under 2years old by two months and we had a 3 year warrenty. Anyone else had a warrenty issue with this sort of thing?

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Rhaglaw

Ours has now had the rear suspension 'adjusted' under warranty - apparently once the mounting bolts are slackened the entire rear suspension can be moved to alter the alignment and equalise the toe in etc between the two sides.

It still looks as though they are wearing just as rapidly, just slightly more evenly!! Looking at other new Berlingo's in car parks it does look sadly as though 'They all do that, Sir'.

Not impressed :(

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Multispace pete

Thanks for the info Rhaglaw, So far Cireon UK have had the dealer doing alsorts of test, measurements and photographs. The vehicle is now booked in the first week in October for more tests to be carried out. Apperantly they now want a full alignment check doing before they will comment. Seems to me that Citteon UK want to get out of warrenties where ever they can.

I am also not impressed with the service level so far, Its not what I signed up for when I opted to buy the brand new Citreon Berling Multispace.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Dave the Leccy

hi all, i've got the peugeot partner teepee, exactly the same.......

i have contacted local tyre fitters whom have a contract for courier firms, they said that they have had all their citreon/peugeots in for rear tyres before the fronts. he said that the rear suspension has a design fault and has too much rear toe in , which cannot be adjusted... he said to complain to peugeot / citreon and say you are not happy with the expense due to their design fault.

I remember ford had an issue with the time required to change a clutch on the new mondeo and if the clutch went within 3 years of buying the car they would pay half of the labour.

My experience with both citreon ( we have had 3 piccassos and a couple of peugeots ) is that their technical assistance lines are lacking and some problems you have to research on the net and tell them how to fix it.... ( throttle issues on early piccasso hdi, same throttle fitted to rover 600 same fault, citreon unaware of fault and had car in 3 times to fix...)

sorry if a bit of a rant but with 2 rear tyres costing £80-150 each after 16,000miles i am a bit peeved, let alone the fronts will need doing in a month or two.

Cheers David

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Bram Bram

Hello All,

I too have a problem with excessive rear tyre wear on my 2009 Berlingo Multispace.

While I was on holiday this year a owner of a Berlingo told me to look out for excessive wear on both back tyres. He said that Citroen had replaced both back tyres and accepted that there was a problem with uneven wear on both tyres.

My dealer has passed me on to Citroen UK and they have told me the problem is to much weight in the boot. So does this mean my five seater now becomes a two seater as I can't have any weight in the back.

I have owned cars since I was 19 and now 60 and have never seen wear like this before.

The car has done 19000 miles and the other three tyres have not wear on them at all.

I am waiting for Citroen to contact me and I will post the reply.

Regards,

Bram Bram

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - L1011SEO

I have just taken my 2009 Berlingo XTR in to Citroen Slough. It has done 17000 miles and the nearside rear tyre has worn bald on the outside quarter of the tread only. the rmainder of the tyre and all other tyres have plenty of tread left. I got 30000 miles out of my set of tyres on my old Berlingo and our C3 is still going strong at 32000. I have been told by their service manager that I must have bumped a kerb and it is not covered under waranty.

No More Citroens For Me!

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - oldtoffee

>>>No More Citroens For Me!

I do think that decisions like that are the only way to properly deal with rubbish customer service from mediocre quality manufacturers. Some manufacturers get it and some don't.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Berlingoman1

Ref Berlingo tyre wear, I have a van still under Citroen warranty suffering from excessive & uneven rear tyre wear. The rear tyres are wearing out on the outsides and need changing before the front tyres do. Rear axle geometry has been checked by dealer and by an independent and found to be within spec, but clearly there is a design fault. Citroen UK refuse to admit this, despite overwhelming evidence and written expert opinion! Complaint was escalated to SMMT "Motor Codes", but they refuse to act (surprise surprise - look who pays them?!)

Obviously' given the number of similar complaints on this website. there is a design fault with this van and the multispace variant. I have the old tyres & photo's etc etc. Only recourse left is to claim against the dealer under The Sale of Goods Act 1979" as the act makes no provision to sue manufacturers under these circumstances. It is not the dealer's fault so I wonder if a County Court claim for the extra cost of replacing rear tyres during my ownership (approx £600.00) is likely to succeed? Anyone got any ideas?

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - MGBGTLE

My 2012 Berlingo XTR is wearing its rear tyres at about the same rate as the front. Every front wheel drive car I have owned over many years has generally achieved twice the mileage on the rear tyres compared to the front including my previous 2006 Berlingo.

I have heard that there is a manufacturing accuarcy problem with the rear beam to which the rear wheel hubs are attached, resulting in errors in rear wheel allignment which vary from one car to another. Apparently some are really bad and have illegal rear tyres in less than 12000 miles. These vehicles no doubt shouldn't pass an MOT, but wheel allignment isn't generally tested on the MOT.

Citroen refuse to admit that there is a problem and won't do a recall - no doubt because of the cost of replacing the rear beam. Pity that this fault persists and spoils what is otherwise a good car.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - 2009 Berlingo rear tyre wear - Berlingoman1

Further to my previous post on 12/7/12 I can now update this message board.

I made a claim against the dealer who sold me the van under "The Sale of Goods Act" for compensation for the extra costs of tyre replacement caused by this rear axle geometry problem. The outcome of that has been an 'out of court settlement' by the dealer for an agreed sum equal to the cost of 4 tyres plus court fees.

I would therefore advise any other owners to do likewise if they feel sufficiently agreived by this apparent design fault as it is quite likely that the dealer will similarly settle rather than have the claim tested in court!

Obviously, any court finding in favour of a claimant would worry Citroen UK to an alarming degree as it might well have enormous financial implications which they would prefer to avoid.

So, if you can take the trouble - issue a claim in the County Court. It's worth a punt!