Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - subaculture

Hi everyone,

I have been inspired to write an academic article, provisionally entitled 'Hitchhiking:
There Is No Movement Without Automobile Rhythm' which seeks to investigate the interaction between drivers/ their cars and the hitchhikers (all of whom share the road).

I am looking to talk to drivers who have picked up any hitchhiker(s) over the past 12 months about their experience (or maybe they know a friend, colleague or family member who picks up hitchhikers and can pass this request on).

If you have 10-15 minutes to spare over the coming week or two (any day/ any time), I would love to speak to you. I can Skype your computer, land line or mobile at your convenience.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and any subsequent paper/results would be shared.

Please email me at: mjp.o.regan@gmail.com if you can help.

Best Wishes,

Michael

University of Brighton
www.brighton.ac.uk/ssm/contact/details.php?uid=mjo2

Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - Cymrogwyllt

I've given up. The last three were

Someone doing a runner from a job.

A respectable looking sort who turned out to be under the influence of unknown chemicals.

A pot head. I had to open the window to keep a clear head.

Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - turbo11

Are they still around, as I have not seen a hitchhiker in years. A decade ago,When I was commuting long distances I used to see the odd one waiting by the motorway slip road, but I never gave them a lift. I am not a charitable sort.

Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - Vitesse6

Haven't seen one in ages - in the 80's every motorway roundabout had at least one - I always assumed they were on the enterprise allowance scheme setting up in business as a freelance provider of conversation for lonely drivers.

Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - jc2

Only if they were carrying trade plates.

Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - Harry Boy

Trouble with hitchhikers is that they are becoming more choosy and sophisticated about what vehicle they are picked up in. There is even a publication detailing said vehicles, especially one that is a guide to a particular Ford, and it's not the Prefect!

Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - Sofa Spud

I occasionally picked up hitchhikers in the 1970's, when I was in my 20's, especially if i was driving a van or lorry. But I don't do so now, not unless it's obviously someone in difficulty - like broken down. But come to think of it, most people have mobile phones these days - then, if you were being a good samaritan to someone broken down, they'd only want a lift to the next phone-box or garage most likely.

I do think life used to be more care-free. Not that bad things never happened, just not so much.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/04/2011 at 14:20

Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - oldroverboy

Having hitched everywhere and walked a lot of it too in the 70s including all over europe and having some adventures on the way, I always stop if it is safe to do, never had any problems, either hitching or picking up people, and met lots of interesting people on the way, Met several french girlfriends that way in the 70's one who i still write to as a friend, other families took me home and fed me and gave me a bed for the night, wouldn,t change it for the world. But see very few hitchhikers now, even when i drive through service stations on the motorways. i regularly do west wales to london and welcome company, and generally if it's a trade plater will often go a bit out of my way to leave them somewhere better than the motorway junction. Curiously hardly any hitchhikers in europe too!

Have U picked up any hitchhikers in the past year? - frazerjp

I recently saw a hitchicker across the road from the BMW plant, Oxford. He was holding up a tradeplate & wearing a backpack, I can't remember when I last saw one on the side of a bye-pass or at a roundabout, with 'M6' written in black marker on a piece of wet cardboard. MIL told me you used to see them hang around outside the old Rover plant in Cowley.