Weight Limits - What Does 7.5T Look Like?? - fredthefifth

Hi All, bit of ignorance here on my part but there is road near me that has a 7.5T weight restriction on it and some quite large stuff uses it. I have to admit that haven't got a clue what 7.T looks like.

Also I thought that the limit applies to the max laden weight of the vehicle and that even if unladen the restriction still applies. Is that right?

Can anyone help please?

Ta.

FTF

Ooooh, and is the T tons or tonnes?

Weight Limits - What Does 7.5T Look Like?? - Ethan Edwards

This.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&sugexp=gsqvhc&xhr=t&q=7.5t+truck&cp=4&pq=7.5t+truck&wrapid=tljp130149058793730&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=mSuTTcCaCcXoOZOq0ZEB&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1260&bih=832

Or it could be Smokey and the Bandit's Big and Little Enis Burdette on mini bikes.

Picture not found.

Weight Limits - What Does 7.5T Look Like?? - Dwight Van Driver

The restriction will apply to a vehiicles MAX GROSS WEIGHT (vehicle plus load) , not the unladen weight, that is mentioned on the sign.

dvd

Weight Limits - What Does 7.5T Look Like?? - Berisford

Most of the roads around our village have the 7.5tonne limit but for the many drivers of heavy vehicles that use the roads here as a short-cut the chances of being caught are almost nil, thus lots of overweight vehicles pass through every day.

Much the same with the many 'no cycling' signs in the nearby town...........................

As for the OP's question, ".....look like", google '7.5 tonne lorry' and you'll see lots of examples.

A 7.5 tonner can look quite big (think Argos local delivery size) but the giveaway is the wheels, quite small on a 7.5 but much bigger and chunky on 10 tonne and up.

Edited by Berisford on 30/03/2011 at 23:00

Weight Limits - What Does 7.5T Look Like?? - fredthefifth

Ok, thanks Berisford. That sounds like exactly the same issue that we have.

Weight Limits - What Does 7.5T Look Like?? - oldroverboy

Quite often there will also be a small sign underneath saying "except for access", this means larger vehicles can go through to deliver to a point within that area. worth looking at your signs to say which it is. if you feel it is being abused complain in writing to vosa and ask for a written reply.

Weight Limits - What Does 7.5T Look Like?? - Sofa Spud

Typical 7.5 Tonner....

http://www.trucklocator.co.uk/view-truck-for-sale.php?van=32211&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=ClickThrough&

Look for the small wheels with 6 studs. The cabs are often similar to ones fitted to heavier models.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/04/2011 at 12:25

Weight Limits - What Does 7.5T Look Like?? - Sofa Spud

Typical 7.5 Tonner....

http://www.trucklocator.co.uk/view-truck-for-sale.php?van=32211&utm_

Look for the small wheels with 6 studs. The cabs are often similar to ones fitted to heavier models.

Weight limits always apply to the maximum premitted weight. A 17 tonne 4-wheeler might only weigh 7 tonnes when empty, but it still counts as an 17 tonner.