Vectra 18" Wheels - Advice please - RogEnfield

I'm thinking of buying a 2007 Vectra 2.8 Estate 58k, but it has 18" alloys and low profile tyres. I carry quite heavy loads long distances in the back. Will these be ok ? or if I buy would I be better changing to 17" or even 16".

This could affect my decision whether or not to buy. Any other comments on this car ? I know it will be expensive to run, MPG, Insurance, Road Tax etc.

My current car, an Omega 2.6 estate has been great and now at 155k, could I expect the same ?

Any comments good or bad appreciated

Thanks and cheers !

Vectra 18" Wheels - Advice please - Ossett Tyre House

hi RogEnfield

These should be fine as long as you dont overload the car. No matter what the size of the tyre the load rating will be equivalant to the size of the tyre.]

Edited by Avant on 30/04/2011 at 23:27

Thanks Ossett T H !

I'd never heard of load ratings before DOH ! But I have now.

So assuming even weight distribution in the back, I can look at the rating code and get some idea of total maximum on the rear two wheels.

Vectra 18" Wheels - Advice please - Boulder2k9

I think the vectra estate with nice wheels is quite nice, I do think however that is the wrong engine to go for,its going to really hurt fuel wise and tax etc. Maybe look at diesel power if doing long distances, I dont think you will see better than mid 20's fuel wise with that engine. Re the wheel size, shouldnt be much of a problem except the ride will be quite firm and tyres will be expensive

Finally my last car had 18's on it and after 60k a crack was found in the back left alloy wheel puncturing the tyre and needing a entire new alloy and tyre. The roads around where I live aren't great but still it was an expensive repair...just saying if you travel on bad roads often.

Goold luck mate

Thanks 159man

Yes, the MPG and other running costs are a bit of an issue, and I'll have to balance the asking price against these. Having said that, my current 2.6 Omega is not exactly cheap to run.

Cheers
Vectra 18" Wheels - Advice please - Graham567
Being a 2007 model will the road tax not be £425?
Expensive if it is.
Didn't buy it anyway.

Knackered tailgate strut with other one not too good

No CD multichanger, single CDs only (surprising on a car of this spec).

Thanks for help all
Vectra 18" Wheels - Advice please - Smileyman

I changed the wheels on my car 17" to 16" - if you do change wheels size consider whether the car's speedo will need to be adjusted, and don't foget to discuss with insurance company.

See site http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

So why did I change ... the price of 215/50/17 tyres is so expensive, after allowing for the cost of the new wheels, I still still saved money at the point of fitting a second set of tyres. I changed to manufacturer standard 205/60/16 - still not the cheapest tyre size but that is worthy of a different discussion thread all together.