Corsa 1.5TD 1996 - Corsa 1.5TD 1996 - whining after timing belt chang - dougal

Hi all,

I have just changed the timing belt and tensioners on a Vauxhall Corsa 1.5TD 1996 model. It has now picked up a whine when revved up and a "rumbling" noise at idle.

I made a video and posted it on YouTube here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GExXjGhO-cs

I've ruled out the aux belt (same noise with belt off) and the tensioner (swapped back to the old tensioner). It's also not the belt covers catching on the belt.

I think the belt may be too tight. Has anyone got the correct deflection for the belt? The problem is that it's on a spring tensioner but (don't ask how) I managed to bend one of the lugs on the spring over slightly when removing it, so I'm wondering if the belt could now be sitting a fraction too tight.

I can barely twist the belt 45 degrees on tensioner side with the spring on - this seems a tad tight?!

Can anyone offer any advice? Should I take the spring off and try tensioning the belt by hand, and if so how?

Cheers.

Corsa 1.5TD 1996 - Corsa 1.5TD 1996 - whining after timing belt chang - Peter.N.

Can't really tell from the video because I don't know what the engine sounded like before but an over tight belt is certainly a strong possibility, the tightness is not as critical as is often suggested as the belt stretches and wears with age anyway, I would just be inclined to slacken it off a little and try, obviously it shouldn't be loose but there are degrees of tightness.