Renault Clio II 1.4 16v - How do you bleed the hydraulic tappets? - steve is trying

Hi, I'm in the middle of a de-coke of the Mrs's car. I've been told I need to bleed the hydraulic tappets once the head goes back on. Could anyone out there explain how to do this please? When I took off the cam cover, I discovered two of the head torx bolts had been rounded off some time in the past. I managed to drill them out and kept the swarf from going into the engine with lots of tissue in the oil chambers around the two bolts and a few well placed small magnets. Do I have to replace all of the head bolts or are they available seperately? Thanks in advance for any advise as it will be appreciated. Steve

Edited by steve is trying on 10/03/2011 at 08:06

Renault Clio II 1.4 16v - How do you bleed the hydraulic tappets? - martint123

"Decoke" - that brings back memories form the dim and distant past.

Not sure about your Clio, but all the vehicles I have had with hydraulic tappets do not need bleeding at all. There may well be a bit of a ratlle until oil pressure builds up and fills them, but after that it should be fine.

If I was you I'd replace the head bolts as a set - probably not much more buying a set from a motor factor than buying a single from a dealer. If they have chewed a couple of them up, who knows how much they may have over torqued and stretched the rest.

Renault Clio II 1.4 16v - How do you bleed the hydraulic tappets? - sandy56

A decoke how quaint.

I dont think that you need to bleed hydraulic tappets.

I would replace the set if they are worn.

Ask Honest John

Value my car