Renault Clio II - Compensation/Repair - emimayb

I brought a 10 year old car 3 months ago and have just had it MOT'd. Been told there was a fault with the ABS light needed to invesitgated. I paid Renault £95.94 for the testing and they have said that someone has removed the instrument cluster and messed about behind it and the instrument cluster needs to be replaced at a cost of £389.57. I have called the garage and explained that from the information i have found (CAB/Consumer Direct) that up to 6 months after buyer i have the option to have the car repaid (which i want). They have said that they could not possible afford the £485.51 (instumnet panel and testing) and that i can have my money back minus reasonable usage. I assume that if they "cannot afford" the £485.51 they will be offering me less for my car. Do i have the right to get the car fixed and they try and get the money back after? The garage that i brought it from want me to call them back after they have spoken to Trading Standards (who they say will agree with them and that i should expect what i get when i buy a 10 year old car). I would much rather have my car reapaid than get rid of it or have the garage give me less than the cost of the tyres!

Renault Clio II - Compensation/Repair - LucyBC

It's about proportionality. The new instrument panel probably does not fix the fault so they cannot reasonably be expected to pay for it.

Instead the offer is for the price you paid less a deduction for the use you have made of it (mileage and depreciation).

Once the car is back with them they can decide what to do with it. As long as the offer is reasonable and the deduction not too much, take it.

Been told that a new cluster should fix the problem as a new one will not have several philips head screws holding in place on the back.

The garage are clearly going to offer me less than £480 which does seem pretty low seeing as i've only had it for 3months and 4days and do 6 miles a day.

Renault Clio II - Compensation/Repair - Falkirk Bairn

With any banger the dealer can

1) Repair

2) Replace car with another if you agree +/- cash

3) Give you your money back less a usage charge

take the money and buy another

Thanks for that - think that might be the way forward

On a car of this age the deduction for use should be around 5p a mile. So you take the mileage you have done, multiply it by 5, divide it by 100 (to get a figure in miles) and deduct that from the amount you paid for the vehicle to get the settlement figure. They may bring other factors in to play such as dents and dings.

THank you. They have already said they will not pay £500 for the repair so doubt they will give me a decent/acurate price on the car. If i do want a refund and they refuse to offer me a reasonable price what would be my next move?

From my reading they have not said what they will pay for the repair, rather that they will not pay that sort of money to replace an instrument panel when the car was sold for £1000. It is a different matter if the car goes back as they can fix it up for probably much less than the cost of your instrument panel and sell it again.